Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Making Lemonade from Lemons ...

Ear-gasmic!! What a sound :cloud9:

When all cars become electric, even duller than they are nowadays, I hope to God that petrol is still available so you can drive that car and awaken the brain-dead!! Superb sound track....

The idle is very choppy - much worse than I anticipated, but once under the minutest load it seems to pull cleanly and without drama.

Oh yes indeed, I'll take a ride in the car at some point this year, just let me know a suitable weekend. I won't be able to get in if you have a front cage fitted, sadly.

DynoMike said:
Ear-gasmic!! What a sound :cloud9:

When all cars become electric, even duller than they are nowadays, I hope to God that petrol is still available so you can drive that car and awaken the brain-dead!! Superb sound track....

The idle is very choppy - much worse than I anticipated, but once under the minutest load it seems to pull cleanly and without drama.

Oh yes indeed, I'll take a ride in the car at some point this year, just let me know a suitable weekend. I won't be able to get in if you have a front cage fitted, sadly.

Hi Mike,
The choppy idle is pretty standard for a 996/997 Cup :

1.30 onwards here :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FfDlrCI0ysw

and as we discussed is a function of the duration/overlap of the cams that allow it to breath so well at the top end (as you can hear from the video...)
Wayne controls the idle with the Motronic's ability to advance and retard the timing quickly at idle and thus avoid stalling.
Once warmed up from cold (3-4 minutes) and on the move, the power delivery is pretty much seamless all the way to redline.
Strangely the idle of the Mk 1 GT3 was always very lumpy compared to the Mk 2, perhaps due to infinitely variable Variocam and a more powerful ECU on the later car ? Personally I always thought it imbued the car/engine with more character, and the Cup engine echoes the rough tickover (almost like a cylinder or two drop out every 10 rotations of the crank) of the standard car.
It can be heard in the last 5 seconds of this clip of my old Manthey K400 converted car :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PeHWqBAt_rk

Slippydiff said:
LaSource said:
Wow - a bit of a journey for you but a very cool destination!

First dibs on when you want to move it on :D

...oh, and we really must take it to a circuit to benchmark it. First dibs on helping out with that :D

Love it - proper cup car on the road!

Done T ...

(in exchange for a minimum of 20 hours photography tuition) :mrgreen:

Done!!

Y2K said:
Sounds great at 60 mph :)

Allowing for speedo error and a 10% allowance before the BiB get awkward, I reckon that 66mph and not a single mph more ... :mrgreen:

And I thought building a house was stressful and expensive.

Awesome car.

Kev.K said:
And I thought building a house was stressful and expensive.

Awesome car.

Trust me, fettling a car such as the GT3 is child's play compared with building houses !!

Slippydiff said:
IMI A said:
One of the best sounding cars I've ever heard.

It's even better in the flesh I !!

Yip I was thinking I'd need ear plugs for that thing. Sounds completely mental especially last few thousand revs where it takes on an even crazier tone :grin:

Slippydiff said:
IMI A said:
One of the best sounding cars I've ever heard.

It's even better in the flesh I !!

Yip I was thinking I'd need ear plugs for that thing. Sounds completely mental especially last few thousand revs where it takes on an even crazier tone :grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back