Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Crossing the Chanel

I've never had a problem upstairs in a 997.2. They offer over height when I do the manned check-in, but I've not found it necessary. The staff by the train send me downstairs the vast majority of times.

I managed to get my 911 on a ferry and it has very low front clearance, was a little tricky but the guys loading were very helpful and guided me on. Tunnel as said you go in with transit vans etc.

The return of Marty Wild said:
In keeping with my current roll of taking the Michael...

Are we talking hand bags or cosmetics here? :lol:

:floor: I was expecting some cheap No.5.......looks like the gf will have to make do with the Tweed by Lentheric I got her for Christmas.

I have been over on the train more times than I can remember (car is lower than a GT3) and they always look at my car and automatically put me on the lower deck, I don't bother with the taller train.

The taller deck at 1.85m high and is usually reserved for caravans, coaches and large/tall vehicles and is only single deck as apposed to the double decker trains I normally use. You can book the taller train but you have to say your vehicle is OVER 1.85m tall at the time of booking or they won't let you on it otherwise, I think there is sometimes a cost implication to the taller train but not always.

Robertb said:
IIRC if you ask they will put you in the HGV deck where you don't up/down a ramp.

The HGV train is different to the passenger trains and is open sided, you have to leave your vehicle and a shuttle takes you to a buffet cart and you get taken back to your vehicle once the train arrives.

I prefer the ferry as it is an opportunity to take a break after driving down from Yorkshire. I usually use DFDS as they have always taken care to put me in a good spot, generally avoiding people brushing past with their bags etc. And space to open the doors. I have never had a problem getting a good seat (upstairs restaurant at the front). All for half the price of the tunnel.

All for half the price of the tunnel.

Which is a major plus for anyone from Yorkshire ....... :floor:

madalaa said:
All for half the price of the tunnel.

Which is a major plus for anyone from Yorkshire ....... :floor:

Allows me to buy the fuel to get back again, thank goodness 😅

I see your point John, a wander round the ferry and a bit of fresh air if it's a sunny day can be a welcome break.
Similar to you it's 6 hours to even reach the ferry for me, so whilst I like the break the ferry gives, I happily pay double for the time saving the tunnel gives.

If we didn't live so far north and I wasn't so impatient then I'd probably settle for the ferry. The fact my wife doesn't like being at sea is another reason though.
She doesn't like boats, whereas I love sailing but hate flying.

Magic919 said:
I've never had a problem upstairs in a 997.2. They offer over height when I do the manned check-in, but I've not found it necessary. The staff by the train send me downstairs the vast majority of times.

Ditto with a 996 GT3 they always put me on the lower deck and I never tick the overheight vehicle option. I have never been on the ferry in the Porsche but always in a M sport although it does not sit as low as the Porsche.

Reading this I might try it.

Pip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back