Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PS speedster 911 crash, flips on roof, driver survives !

Guys, guys, are we suggesting that open top cars should be banned, as you might be killed if you roll it...!!!

Want to feel really vulnerable... try driving a car you can touch the road from while sitting in the drivers seat and the wheel nuts of buses and HGV`s are spinning at ear level and can be quite close by....

My mum always pointed out that the road is a dangerous place to play, which is not well understood when cocooned in your digitally controlled box making all sorts of decisions relative to your driving experience and your safety... As an old man I can tell you it is hard to get giddy with all that is going on all around when driving an old and very manual sports car when all around may be half asleep.. :eek:ld:

I wouldn't ban open top cars, but making an open top car involves more than taking most of the roof off a closed car. The design idea of this car looks irresponsible to me. I wonder if potential buyers are informed of the potential safety issues. Not that it matters much for this particular car...

MC

MC, I could not agree more, removing a hard top and creating a soft top would be likely to create structural issues that could introduce a degree of chassis flex, though I suspect a cabrio or perhaps a Targa had a measure of reinforcement built into the chassis by Porsche when compared to a coupé.. I wonder how much strength is built in to a genuine Speedster screen and how much extra protection if any it might provide in such an unfortunate situation....

I am not sure I would be a supporter of halting the ability of folk to modify their cars, be they professional or not... for modifying machinery has been a very much enjoyed pastime for many folk over many years. I wonder how many "kit" cars and bitsas are out there, some things of beauty, others abortions...?

I think there are systems in place to try to keep dangerous machines from being used on the road, though to go further in the UK I suspect the question would be how far is too far... All vehicles to be kept to manufacturers standards as per TUV regs in places like Germany (?) and perhaps only worked upon by trained and certified personel in certified premisess that pass all environmental and H&S requirements...etc.etc.etc.

Boy am I glad I grew up in a very different world... :)

BTW, I hope the poor chap is OK it would have been a very nasty shock.. :eek:

Luddite said:
MC, I could not agree more, removing a hard top and creating a soft top would be likely to create structural issues that could introduce a degree of chassis flex, though I suspect a cabrio or perhaps a Targa had a measure of reinforcement built into the chassis by Porsche when compared to a coupé.. I wonder how much strength is built in to a genuine Speedster screen and how much extra protection if any it might provide in such an unfortunate situation....

I am not sure I would be a supporter of halting the ability of folk to modify their cars, be they professional or not... for modifying machinery has been a very much enjoyed pastime for many folk over many years. I wonder how many "kit" cars and bitsas are out there, some things of beauty, others abortions...?

I think there are systems in place to try to keep dangerous machines from being used on the road, though to go further in the UK I suspect the question would be how far is too far... All vehicles to be kept to manufacturers standards as per TUV regs in places like Germany (?) and perhaps only worked upon by trained and certified personel in certified premisess that pass all environmental and H&S requirements...etc.etc.etc.

Boy am I glad I grew up in a very different world... :)

BTW, I hope the poor chap is OK it would have been a very nasty shock.. :eek:

which is the key point for these retro mod conversion, dont forget to upgrade the crash protection as those original screen are made of cheese

I suspect in terms of ever growing expectations in relation to safety of any kind, that ultimately it has to be down to educating yourself as to whatever activity you are buying into..?

Whenever I jumped on to my m/cycle, I fully UNDERSTOOD that I was at a higher degree of risk than when driving my 911. Today in my Morgan I know that that I am more at risk than I was when driving my old SC some 18 years ago or so, should I expect it to be otherwise...?

I remember watching the auto erecting roll over bar on the Mercedes SL`s in tests quite some time back, but I suspect the car used in the Top Gear vid was manufactured after the SL Mercs I refer to, more recent manufacture is no guarantee of extra safety over that found in an older car in every case, thus I suspect it is best to educate YOURSELF if you are likely to be at an increased level of danger relative to YOUR choices.

I suspect modifying cars does not make them new cars or necessarily require them to be tested to conform to whatever regs might be in place for new cars..? I believe if you want to register a "new" kit car for road use even if it uses old car parts, it has to fit the criteria for a new car of that type..?

I also suspect if you create some sort of "special" call it a resto mod or whatever and just keep it registered and insured as whatever the donor was initially registered as... then I suspect no one will be questioning it`s existence.. However if you have an accident and have not informed the Insurance company of the changes you made to create a vehicle other than that which it was registered as.. then things can get sticky for sure, even if all you did was to fit the wrong grade of tyre, or the rim flew off one of your ying tong alloy wheels. Further to that if you sell that modified car as that which it was registered as originally, then I suspect there could be issues with the buyer if he finds out that which the machine was advertised as turns out to be a false description...hmm..?

As for not worrying to much about mere details....

As an old friend used to say... it is of no real importance.... until it becomes somewhat important ...at which time it can then become ALL important..!!

Be aware and take care, it can all be down to YOU.. :?:

Porsche News said:
So removing the targa roll over protection hoop for this conversion, then this happens :wack: might want to stay clear of this retro experience
Extra irony points, as the Targa was originally introduced because Porsche feared that the US were going to ban convertibles on safety grounds...

Glad everyone's okay, though :thumb:

I was driving home from work early one morning on a long straight road in my 106. Deer shot out, followed by a second one. Hit the brakes to avoid one coming through the windscreen.

No abs..... locked up, clipped curb, car rolled 360 degrees and ended up on the side of the road pointing in the opposite direction.

I was doing 60mph.

Missed the deer though :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back