Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

Oil cooler thermister to go with fan resistor, one of those while I'm in there. What a pig that resitor is to get at. Removed horns, removed lower cooler support and upper stay. Dropped cooler after removing aluminium blanking plate and the plate with the resitor on is easly got at. Remove plate unplugging resistor and smash it to bits just to make me feel better. All in 25 degree heat with sweat dripping in my eyes.

Endoman said:
Oil cooler thermister to go with fan resistor, one of those while I'm in there. What a pig that resitor is to get at. Removed horns, removed lower cooler support and upper stay. Dropped cooler after removing aluminium blanking plate and the plate with the resitor on is easly got at. Remove plate unplugging resistor and smash it to bits just to make me feel better. All in 25 degree heat with sweat dripping in my eyes.

Yes a pig of a job with the wing on, did mine whilst wing was removed so much easier. Gave it all a good clean up too.

Trev

Andyobro showed a photo of a red tacho dial cover on his 993.

Does anyone know where to get a coloured dial cover and how tricky are they to fit? :?:

Sending oil temp sensor back to Rose Passion it was reading 79C at 24 ambient. OPC one cheaper and accurate. Bit annoyed because it should have been genuine Porsche part. Thanks to Ian at Bolton OPC.

Tombri said:

Does anyone know where to get a coloured dial cover and how tricky are they to fit? :?:

Think he went to Carbone for that.

Tombri said:

Yes Carbone. Not an easy fit, the aluminium trim ring needs to be levered open, there is a video on you tube showing how, you need to take you time and lever many times to work the ring. Removing the needle is fine with the right tool, I used a plastic trim removal tool shape like a fork. The screws need the right size screwdriver and positive hand movement.

I tried to contact Julian at Reap Design, that would have been my first choice, but could not get a response.

Removed the OEM Parcel Shelf and Quarters and installed the remainder Perlon Carpet, although, I'm not entirely sure I prefer it..!

What I'd rally like, is some lightweight panels covered in the perlon that have more of the shape/curves of the OEM panels.. If I can't find any, I think I might go about trying to make my own..

Attachments

• whatsapp_image_2019_08_04_at_184917_213.jpeg
    whatsapp_image_2019_08_04_at_184917_213.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 2,367
  • whatsapp_image_2019_08_04_at_184923_206.jpeg
    whatsapp_image_2019_08_04_at_184923_206.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 2,367
Thanks Andyobro,

Carbone would only sell me a full set of red dials - and not cheap, so thought I would stick with my black dials. :sad:

Following a spate of car break-ins a Faraday Box, although they didn't get in the 993 several more modern cars were opened. I have Tore's T-lock perhaps they couldn't read it.

Fitted and checked the oil cooler fan mod. Thermostat opens @ 83 c theoritically just before the 3 line on the guage and the fan now kicks in slow speed just above the line stabilising the temp around the 3rd line around 90C. So it works as intended. Normally running free it would hold that temp but in traffic on a hot day it was getting up 120C and the fan was not coming on altough the thermister checked out ok I replaced it and the resistor.
It's easy to check the stat opening by popping the r/h headlight pod and feeling the pipes to the cooler carefully. That's when to check the oil level.

Endoman said:
Fitted and checked the oil cooler fan mod. Thermostat opens @ 83 c theoritically just before the 3 line on the guage and the fan now kicks in slow speed just above the line stabilising the temp around the 3rd line around 90C. So it works as intended. Normally running free it would hold that temp but in traffic on a hot day it was getting up 120C and the fan was not coming on altough the thermister checked out ok I replaced it and the resistor.
It's easy to check the stat opening by popping the r/h headlight pod and feeling the pipes to the cooler carefully. That's when to check the oil level.

John, glad to hear the fan is working as it should, I have the t-OBD reader that has a function to check all high/low speed operation of each fan and HVAC motor operation, you're welcome to give it a go.

As far a reading the oil level in the car, I've had no success at all, simply cannot see where the oil is on the dipstick. :nooo:

Trev

Thanks Trev, already got Tore's kit with Scantool software and the UDT999 which has a few more functions. Don't know if either will reset the airbag light as I removed them both ages ago.
I agree getting a reading on the dip stick with clean oil is nigh impossible and the guage is unreliable.
With my oil now slightly darker I can see it. I've set the level 1/2 way on the dip stick and the guage is only just off the red. At 3,oclock it blew oil into the inlet tract with oil temp around the 4th line.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/pcar_com/oil_cooler_troubleshoot2.htm

by popping the r/h headlight pod and feeling the pipes to the cooler carefully. That's when to check the oil level.
Flat Palm on the OS Rear Wing, in front of the Rear Wheel.. Feel that for Oil Temp.. Hot hot, needs more Oil..
Cameltoe & Heel said:
As far a reading the oil level in the car, I've had no success at all, simply cannot see where the oil is on the dipstick. :nooo:
Dip Stick isn't the best way.. Go for a Drive, warm the Engine up nicely, then find a [preferably] unpopulated place to pull up. Rev the Engine so that the Oil Temp Needle sits at the 9 O'Clock position; the Oil Level needle needs to be at the 3 O'Clock position at Idle..

Attachments

• 2019_08_09_10_03_44_porsche_993_restorod_journey_roonsstreetrod__instagram_photos_and_videos_134.jpg
    2019_08_09_10_03_44_porsche_993_restorod_journey_roonsstreetrod__instagram_photos_and_videos_134.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,084

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back