Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Update on The IMS solution

Dammit said:
. Unless we move the oil filter to a different place in the circuit that would mean supplying pressurised but unfiltered oil to the IMS.

Now this sounds bad, but bear in mind that the oil pump bearings are also fed the same oil.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about the filtering. Feeding the most delicate and vulnerable bearing with unfiltered oil doesn't sound good.

MC

If the shaft is continuously under the oil lvl so that it will never drain out then in theory it would be possible...

You would be increasing the weight of the shaft and therefore the load on the bearings though .. i think that would be counterproductive to what you are trying to achieve .

If it isn't fully submerged then you would have a shaft half filled with oil at times .. that would cause an imbalance in rotation .

There is a very sizable amount of space inside the ims shaft to keep filled with oil .

I can't remember the exact application but I remember at work once having a problem with a roller bearing that was pressure fed with oil - think it slowed the machine down of something like that. The whole concept of roller bearings is to get away from pressurised oil feeds.

Alex said:
I can't remember the exact application but I remember at work once having a problem with a roller bearing that was pressure fed with oil - think it slowed the machine down of something like that. The whole concept of roller bearings is to get away from pressurised oil feeds.

Can i just say .. even thought the idea is shelved ..

Alex .. :worship:

Oil as a lubrication is one thing but too much would act as a restriction .. it would need to be pushed out of the way by the ball bearings .. heat and a restriction would cause shaft rotational stress .

Spot on :thumb:

Damn its always a learning day on this forum .

The oil pump shaft has been known to snap so for me removing metal from it doesn't sit right with me (I fitted a billet drive shaft in mine) and I would want both the seals removed from the IMSB to let the oil flow through the bearing if I was to consider a modified shaft.

Point 4 taken from here: http://www.petronomics.com/bear_mistakes.htm

With a circulating oil system, oil is pumped from a separate reservoir, where it cools down and lubricates simultaneously. The heated oil is then returned to the reservoir, where it cools down again. Filters in the system remove contaminants from the oil as it circulates. A circulating oil system can often greatly increase bearing life expectancy.

Circulating oil, however, should not be used in high-speed applications, such as machines tool spindles, because of unacceptable friction losses as the lubricant moves through the bearing. In these applications, only a small amount of oil is needed, and a spray-mist system is generally preferred.

Thanks Alex. Only question I have is what counts as high speed?

The IMS rotates at half engine speed IIRC, which would mean it would see ~4,200 rpm maximum in our engines, and a great deal less than that for 99.999% of the time.

What speed does a machine tool spindle rotate at?

My milling machine does 3k rpm, lathe 1.8k rpm and surface grinder 3k rpm on their spindles.

Although I completely agree that an oil feed is unnecessary in this application, surely a car engine propelled IMS shaft isn't going to suffer from frictional losses if oil fed to a detrimental effect like an electric motor on a lathe (thats already geared up/down) where I could see drag becoming a problem on such a small powered motor to cause an issue in slow down. An internal combusion engine has a significant increase in power/torque to make that not an issue, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Oil is only pumped to places it needs to be in an engine for that reason, otherwise, why not just fill the engine with oil and submerge everything.

How fast can you run under water?

Nobody was suggesting filling the engine with oil :?:

My point was that the a car engine is unlikely to suffer from frictional losses on a small bearing (that is driven at half the engine rotational speed) having oil pumped at it to anything like the degree that a tiny electric motor in a lathe is likely to. I still agree that it isn't needed though as it will get splashed with oil inside the case.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back