Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 997 GTS or Turbo

BlackTurbo said:
Is therefore the general consensus that a Turbo is more fun for normal weekend blasts than a GTS? I do not track my cars.

Also I assume from people views they also believe a Turbo will do better on residuals 12 months from now?

The rush of driving a 997 Turbo will be similar to your 996 Turbo .... only more so. The GTS is regarded as the best of the 997 Carreras and generally from AtoB won't be any slower. You won't get the same drama but some people prefer to have the noise instead.

I've been following the £45k-£55k market for 911s avidly over the last 12 months or so and most cars seem to be on the market for quite a while. Early 991 and 991S cars are firmly in this bracket now and although many of them also stick they do seem to be tempting more buyers at this price point as they are definitely newer and often have lower mileage.

Certainly values of both the 997 GTS and Turbo have fallen lately but whether they will continue to do so ......... :dont know:

The consensus amongst Turbo owners, is you should buy one. It usually is.

Magic919 said:

Owners always tend to blow their cars own trumpets which is only natural. 997 turbo really no different to a 996 turbo in a material way. OP go take both for a drive. I have a turbo too. Really very hard to open them up properly on road nowadays. I bought mine new in 2007 covering approaching 90k miles. Very nice but if the GTS had been out in 2007 I would have probably gone for GTS or maybe Sport Classic which I also love. GTS basically a Sport Classic without the bubble roof. Both fantastic you can't go wrong but lately I find myself picking up the keys slower but more fun cars at sane speeds. I've been crossed up at 200mph. It was fun but don't think I'd want to do it again :grin:

IMHO
It is not about what speed you can do. The turbo gives you a rush which is hard to match. I had a 997.2 Carrera 4S for few months before I changed to turbo. Wont ever go back to a non-turbo car. The only issue is the engine sound. I upgraded to a PSE for the 4S. Still the sound was not that good.
For the turbo I used a sharkwerks pipe and as I have a cab the sound is pretty good.

Magic919 said:

Well it should be reliable, most of us aren't selling so we're not just talking them up! There's a reason we bought them, often not our first 911.

I had a Carrera, it was truly lovely. The second best car I've ever owned. If it had been a GTS I'm sure it would have been an even closer second. But still 2nd ;)

T8, how widely are you advertising your car at that price. Can't see it anywhere major (the usual places - I won't advertise the competition - including the stock list here) at that price.

To say Turbos have come down. I bought a 63k, manual, black, from an [ok] independent 2 years ago for £45k. I think I could still easily make that back on 67k miles now.

Ishay said:
T8, how widely are you advertising your car at that price.

It's only for sale on here and I haven't even raised a proper advert. :oops:

I'd need £47.5k to make the 'cost to change' anything like palatable to me.

GTS for me.

GTS for me, had a Turbo for a brief time but didn't know what all the fuss was about with them, rapid in a straight line but that was about it for me.

BlackTurbo said:
Also I assume from people views they also believe a Turbo will do better on residuals 12 months from now?
A turbo will do better over a similar Carrera but I think a GTS would do just fine, get the one you like :)

GTS - the sound and ability to wring its neck more in the UK

Turbos are just too mad for this country and best in Germany on the ABs

Plus lots more things on them to go wrong

Go for the GTS; try to find as high a spec as possible.

I have had mine for over 5 years now and its simply the best car I have ever owned. Had a go of a Turbo and a Turbo S recently (I was tempted to switch) but I simply couldn't see where the extra money was going (with the exception of straight line speed) - for me the GTS is far more useable and enjoyable.

I had a 996tt (loved it) and now have a 997 4s.
The 4s is more rewarding and fun to drive on the roads in my view. The turbos wallop and looks we're incredible but in all other areas the 4s wins.

If you hop out of a turbo into a NA car it feels like the engine is broken - and I really worried about this when moving on. But the recalibration of what 'fast' is happens very quickly and I really didn't miss the power. In fact I enjoyed the car much much more of the time as I could enjoy ringing it's neck through the gears without having to back off at speed, and slower driving is much more engaging and fun as a result of the more responsive engine, it's noise, and what feels like a more agile setup.

I asked Harry Metcalf about my decision (before I made it) on twitter and he was kind enough to respond - his view was that 'car churn is a good thing - try as many different great cars as you can' - and I think that's ultimately the best advice in your position. Whatever your decision it will be a great car and I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
James

I have said what Lordjimimac said a number of times. For a relatively lightweight car I think around 300-350hp on twisty roads enables great fun without silly speeds. That is why I like the early 996 C2 and M3 CSL so much as B road cars. The high power of a turbo is a wonderful thing, I love that too, but you do have to be so much more restrained.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back