Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spoiler curtain repair job - Easy DIY

pietrzj

Spa-Francorchamps
Here is how I did it. It took about 20min and was really easy...

Raise spoiler about 3/4 of the way up. From the rear (I started on the RHS) Carefully push forward the curtain at the top corner. This was stiff and I used a small flat head screwdriver to pry it off. Then run the round shaft of the screwdriver along to the LHS, being careful not to fowl anything on the side you can't see. Then release the middle part of the curtain on both ends by prising the plastic channel under the small metal pins on either side. This needed some downward pressure while prising. The U channel that clips along the long horizontal metal rod just pulls away inch by inch, but again start by prying with a flat tool. Finally the bottom edge can be detached along with the rubber strip by pushing forward the rubber with a flat head screwdriver or pry tool. The whole thing is then teased out under the metal rod towards the rear of the car. Slide out the rubber strip, clean up with soapy water and re-attach to the new curtain. Clean up the horizontal metal rod the U channel sits on and aply a thin coating of silicon grease (this fixed a grating noise I had for years which I assumed was the motor bearing - that I changed for no reason). Feed the new curtain in from the rear under the rod and attach the top part first. You can push into place by feeding your arm through the gap under the spoiler from the rear window. Then clip the U channel over the metal rod inch by inch and carefully snap the upper channel under the two metal pins either end (the new curtain clicked under much easier than the old one came off). The bottom rubber strip then gets pushed on from under the spoiler from the window side. Make sure this is all the way on by looking from the side of the car roughly eyelevel with the rubber strip. It took me about 15min to remove and 5min to refit, not including cleaning and lubricating. Easy (even easier if you have long skinny arms).

Jan

Now for the photos...

Attachments

• img_8417_172.jpg
    img_8417_172.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 2,697
running along

Attachments

• img_8418_980.jpg
    img_8418_980.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 2,694
pins

Attachments

• img_8430_214.jpg
    img_8430_214.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 2,692
pin

Attachments

• img_8432_201.jpg
    img_8432_201.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 2,690
Releasing the "U" channel from the horizontal metal rod

Attachments

• img_8434_150.jpg
    img_8434_150.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 2,686
Metal rod, cleaned up and greased

Attachments

• fullsizerender1_312.jpg
    fullsizerender1_312.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 2,684
complete

Attachments

• img_8441_578.jpg
    img_8441_578.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 2,682
I did mine too about a month ago. Took me about an hour and I'm not very patient so no pictures. It's certainly a DIY. I did the front boot struts too, was much easier than I'd thought. Not done the engine cover struts yet, that seems more involved.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back