Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Spyder

Can't argue with any of that Rich. Exactly my thoughts on them and I very nearly chose one during my GT3 search.

As you say you want to work with what's there rather than reinvent it.
I look forward to seeing it evolve. :thumb:

Interesting, and a great find!

I went from a Spyder to my 996 (now sold). Mine too had carbon buckets, Spyder alloys, PSE and short shift but had a/c, sat nav, steel brakes and extended alcantara (wheel, gearknob, console etc).

It was indeed a fantastic car but I found the 911 every bit as rewarding and enjoyable to drive.

The only trying that niggled me with the Spyder, which might be what you're alluding to, was an occasional flat response to full throttle. In certain conditions (it happened to me when going for an overtake a couple of times, so part throttle cruise followed by full throttle) the car felt strangled and didn't respond for a second or two. I wondered if it was a 'safety" device but I'm afraid it's almost certainly coded into the ECU /DBW throttle and may not be as easy to solve as a new exhaust!

Anyway, good luck, enjoy.

Great addition to the stable Rich. :thumbs:

Really like the Spyder, and I think for the money it's not that dear relatively speaking. A good one with carbon buckets can be had for low £40s. A new 718 is more :?:

I would love a crystal ball to predict where values are in a few years :puh:

Looking forward to following your posts.

askgeez said:
Great addition to the stable Rich. :thumbs:

Really like the Spyder, and I think for the money it's not that dear relatively speaking. A good one with carbon buckets can be had for low £40s. A new 718 is more :?:

I would love a crystal ball to predict where values are in a few years :puh:

Looking forward to following your posts.

:thumb: Guy.
I'm not overly fussed about the value but what I can say is the 987 Spyder is the lightest Porsche made in the last 27years (100kg lighter than the 911R). The fact that Walter Rohrl has one in his own private collection tells me all I need to know; especially so considering all the unobtanium and special stuff he has. I paid a bit of a premium but given there are only 3 cars in the UK built to this spec, it was worth it to me. My third favourite car of all time is the CGT however considering what they cost, the Spyder is a very nice alternative at reasonable money. Even the CGT is 100kg heavier mind ;)
In 10 years the Spyder may be worth 100K more than I paid or ICE cars car may be banned; who knows. The amount I pumped into the 996 should give some indication as to my attitude about values :grin:

I'll add a few pics here later...

Wow I can't believe I've had this car a year now and done nothing with it in all that time, until today that is :D
I've been so busy on another project that I've barely driven let alone started working on this car.
Well almost 25kg removed today by taking out a few surplus items and fitting a lovely little lithium battery. The car should be in the order of 1250kg now, which compared to the other toys makes this the lardiest of the bunch :grin:
(996 - 1115kg, Alfa - 840kg & Lotus - 700kg):

50122870548_8cb57b0d4a_k.jpg

50123657967_6130a989c6_k.jpg

50123434946_cc760c5ffd_k.jpg

Also managed to get it throught the TUV in the end so now finally on German plates:

49241484936_b4b9b3ea48_k.jpg

is that battery the same capacity ? No worries about cranking power or chucking up error codes ?

It is an absolute monster James for its size. It kicks out 420CAA, so no problem cranking. I do not have Hifi, A/C... so have no issue with such batteries. I have them fitted in all my cars and have not had any issues yet.
ETA a little more info below:

Advantages of SHIDO lithium-ion batteries:
- Higher starting power, due to its low internal resistance the battery can provide more rapid start capability, resulting in a faster and easier start.

- Super cranking power - cranking current 30% to 50% higher than equivalent lead-acid batteries.

- Approximately 70% lighter in weight.

- Very low self-discharge, even after unused for one year you do not have to load the battery.

- Longer service life with more than 2000 full charge and discharge cycles.

- No capacity loss over its lifetime. Lead-acid batteries lose capacity over time and can possibly sulfate.

- Reduced gasoline consumption by a stronger spark from the spark plug.

- 1 to 1 replacement for lead-acid batteries, to build in easily. The shape and connections match with your lead-acid battery.

- Super-fast charging time. The battery can absorb more quickly charging Amperes due to its low internal resistance.

- Safe, LiFePO4 cannot explode or burn.

- No maintenance required.

- Stable discharge voltage thanks to the integrated Battery Management System (BMS).

- No pollution, the battery contains only biodegradable and recyclable elements.

- Charging status indicator.

- Cannot leak and can therefore be mounted in any position, even upside down.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back