Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4s Front suspension strut removal

Newbe

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or pointers when removing the complete FRONT suspension strut on a C4s. I don't really want to remove the half shaft but it looks like I have to to drop the strut out?

Plus any other tips?

Thanks

You don't need to remove the drive shaft if you have a big enough puller to ease the hub off it, although the shaft does just pull out / push in at the transmission, being held by a snap ring in a groove to retain it in position.

It's difficult to get a ball joint splitter around the end of the coffin arm at the hub without it slipping off, mine was solid on one side and wouldn't split. One tip is to unbolt the coffin arm at the chassis and remove it as a complete assembly. It makes access to that ball joint much easier for removal.

I found it's one of those jobs that's easier the more components you can unbolt. I don't think I even needed a spring compressor with the hub assembly and various arms removed.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Cheers

Just trying to get as many tips before I start👍

I've got a broken suspension spring so I've decided to refurbish the lot including my rusting brake lines☹️

Yep, exactly why I did mine. Broken spring at the rear so gave the full suspension a refresh, including new shocks & bearings, etc at the front as the old ones were quite corroded.

An impact gun was pretty essential too, especially for the front axle nuts!

Never fails to amaze me how common broken springs are on these cars! I fitted Eibach 15mm lower springs and had it all aligned and set up by Center Gravity when it was done - handling is fantastic! :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back