Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Noisy heater/ac cabin blower

Adsum

The cabin blower fan in my 997 has got very noisy of late; not too bad a low speed but as the speed increases the noise gets worse until it sounds as if the fan blades are knocking on something. Any one know how to access this fan, or any ideas of what may be causing excessive noise all vents seem to be blowing ok.

Any suggestions of things to try would be much appreciated :)

You need to remove the pollen filter so n/s/f and left of the battery .. once out you can look down to the fan .

mice love to make a nest on the pollen filter and fill the fan area with nuts once they chew through it so possibly something like that .

if nothing is found in the fan area then i would guess it needs a new motor .. not hard to drop it out to check first but if no debris then there's not much else it can be .

Thanks deMort I shall check that as it seems to have got worse since I had it serviced, they changed the pollen filter, maybe its not sitting correctly!

If you need a new motor, the Porsche part is expensive. On the 996, the part is a standard Valeo motor and it's cheap from Eurocarparts.

On the facelift 996, it's also quite an easy DIY job.

There have been a few such threads on some of the American forums. Some have successfully sprayed with the likes of GT85 which has provided a long term fix. I used a chain lube from Halfords which I sprayed in to the fan. It cured mine for the several months before I sold it

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and i'm pleased to say the problem is now fixed :)
I've posted a pic of the problem, debris in the fan blade, once the pollen filter was removed as deMort suggested i was able to poke my phone down and take a picture... what you see stuck in the fan blades are bits of a conker :roll:

All fixed now so many thanks :)

[/img]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back