Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Out Snags?

Mr Bacchus

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,
During a recent service the mechanic told and showed me I have one cylinder head stud snapped, and I now have a quote to fix it. The quote is predominantly labour and is a mid four figure number, so quite a spend.

I'm pretty handy with the spanner's so I am considering doing the work myself, I also have the workshop manuals and other resources etc.

Whilst I'm quite keen to do the work it will be a slow job at nights and weekends.

My question is to those who have had an engine out and I'm wondering what snags might hit me that I don't expect, it seems every major job I've done involves more time fighting nuts and bolts etc than the actual task. Any shared experiences appreciated?

FYI - the engine had a documented rebuild before I bought the car and not that many miles ago relatively speaking - so I was not anticipating doing anything other than replacing all the studs.

Cheers

Steve

Special tools for crank and camshafts spring to mind as does an oxy acetylene torch. The job depends on experience I guess. Its doable but the pitfalls are many. The price you mention sounds expensive if you only need the headstuds changing i,e there's no need to strip the heads and carriers can remain in place so long as the last rebuild was done properly.
I'd suggest calling John at Unit Eleven in Warrington to get a more realistic price. 01925 852000

Hi

What did you do in the end? I dropped my 993 engine a few years back, and assuming you have suitable gear to lower the engine and roll it out from under the car then its really not difficult in my opinion. Plenty of "how to's" on the internet.

Rebuilding it is not really for the faint hearted, but again if you have time and patience its also doable at home. Use a decent machine shop!

All the best

Berni

If it's just cylinder head studs I reckon my Indy would do that for £1,000 + parts as they whip 964 engines out all the time.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back