Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Targa 4S X51 - New Exhaust system or Not

kul997

Hi all,
I'm considering getting an upgrade as the exhaust is showing it's age and when it's back from Hartech I figured this would be the best time to upgrade it as the bolts should be easy to remove after having the engine rebuilt.
I'm deliberating if the added expense of a new system would improve the performance, as it already has a PSE.
Also, i'm not sure what type of Cats I have fitted, standard, 200 or 100. Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers,
K.

As your car is an X51 it has different larger bore headers anyway to the stand ones so you might want to keep them as these sound deeper with more growl and should flow better, but upgrading the bolts at this point would be a good idea. If the CATS are standard then you might want to get some 200 cell ones as this will free up some power, 100 cel apparently can quite often throw codes. You can save weight by changing the mufflers but you will need a switchable sytem unless you dont mind losing this option.

Personally if the system is ok I would just change the CATS as this will give a noticeable gain and leave the rest as is but I might be biased as I have the same system as you but with top gear 200 cel CATS.

My pse silencers were toast and there was no way I was forking out for a pair of oem items at £3k.

So I bought a pair of topgear valvetronic items. Cheap and work fine with the sport button.

I've got 200 cell cats on mine too and its loud when the valves are open, but I love it.

Be aware, the oem pse tailpipes wont fit and you'll need to buy some standard firming items (1 pipe in, rather than 2).

Thefinn said:
As your car is an X51 it has different larger bore headers anyway to the stand ones so you might want to keep them as these sound deeper with more growl and should flow better, but upgrading the bolts at this point would be a good idea. If the CATS are standard then you might want to get some 200 cell ones as this will free up some power, 100 cel apparently can quite often throw codes. You can save weight by changing the mufflers but you will need a switchable sytem unless you dont mind losing this option.

Personally if the system is ok I would just change the CATS as this will give a noticeable gain and leave the rest as is but I might be biased as I have the same system as you but with top gear 200 cel CATS.

Was there a noticeable change in the exhaust tone just from changing the cats?

Yep 200 cell cats alone made it louder on mine. But the oem pse silencers eventually had to be swapped as they were shagged. The topgear units, with 200 cell cats on the x51 exhaust headers just howl.

Maybe too much for some, but I love it.

I should probably add that mines a factory x51 car too..

Changing just the cats will alter the sound but not as much as the headers as well. You can get different sounds from the cats choosing between cross over vs x pipe and the bore as well will make a difference.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back