Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The impact of the £'s strength on Porsche running costs...

Ghianightmare

Montreal
My 996 is in Hartech for engine rebuild. I live in € land so the exchange rate was always going to impact the final cost to me. In May when my engine died, €1 would buy me 85p. ``

For some bizarre reason, the pound has weakened :?: over the past 3 months and now €1 will buy me 89.5p (i set up a Revolut account so i wouldn't incur any exchange commission which has worked great). This has a considerable impact on the final bill and meant that I has some breathing space for the unexpected findings... The first being the rear ARB being so rusty and worn that not even new bushes would help.

The latter is a little bit more ironic...

Hartech were testing the car and the gear shift went. A little investigation revealed that one of the cables had popped out of the gear lever housing. 2 of the 3 plastic tangs that hold it in position had broken. The reason? Some pound coins had found their way under the centre console and worked their way in under the cable end and it seems that over time the pressure wore the clips on the RH cable. Not repairable. Cable Assy is close to £320 plus a bit of labour. All because of the strength of the pound (coin) sterling...!It has pretty much taken all of the money i had save on the exchange rate :roll:

quite a volatile little thing the pound sterling.... :wink:

Aren't you buying in Euros from Dublin? Parts have gone up but you should be getting more £1 for your Euros?

maldren said:
Aren't you buying in Euros from Dublin? Parts have gone up but you should be getting more £1 for your Euros?

Yep - £ has weakened against €, so in May €10,000 would only buy me £8,500. Now, €10,000 will but me £8,900. The means that when i get my final bill in £, it will cost me less €. Which is fantastic. However, this "bonus" is quickly eroded when so loose pound coins work their way in to the shift cable clips ad break them and my final £ bill goes up by circa £540 :sad:

I was luckier than you, I found several pounds worth of change around the gearchange and had no problems with it.

However some of the coins were the old style £1 so I had to change them at the bank.

Mine were old style pounds too! So from its previous life...

Any idea how they find their way in there? I cant see any obvious way from the photos.

Maybe there should be a tech bulletin on this! :)

Is it worth investing in some nice billet cable ends, you'll barely notice the cost now!

No pound coins found when I fitted my shifter bushes. Just a very old sticky sweet.

The weak pound is super news when your paid in US dollars :grin: long may Britain stay fooked up, and £1 to $1 become a reality :worship:

spongebob squarepants said:
The weak pound is super news when your paid in US dollars :grin: long may Britain stay fooked up, and £1 to $1 become a reality :worship:

I shall second that for now SB ....!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back