Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'Remote' not working on second key -Can anyone help/clarify?

Hughb

Trainee
Hi.. 996 C2 2003
Have all 3 keys .... 2 X two button fobs plus 1x grey (no buttons) key

All keys open and start the car.
The problem is that the second (spare) remote does not work remotely!

From my extensive research on the subject it appears that the car may have forgotten this remote through lack of use .. More than 256 presses difference etc.

I have tried so many 'offerings' from the postings of others on this and other websites.... Holding down buttons whilst in/out of door/ignition, turning/not turning, reinserting ....aargh ..getting frustrated.

Has anyone experienced this exact same situation, ie non working remote on second key? ....... Surely not that unusual.

Local OPC suggesting something really simple like holding button down and unlocking car door ....(did not work).. Or else was quoting £Hundreds for new blade, plus PCB plus programming fee.

Would really appreciate anyone's suggestions (even if I have seen them before!) or am I in need of some programming device input ..... OPC only offered expensive option above.

... Have changed battery, reversed battery for a minute, etc

Any ideas?

Keys

That's a pretty definitive article ........ And leads me to think that I might be in the category of being so far out of synch that I am past recovery :sad:

I have actually seen the 10 step resynch guide already and tried it .... Even though it does not say when to release the button at the very end ( before or after removing key from lock?). I'm going to try it again anyway!

Many thanks for this link ..... Kurlykris

To anyone with a similar problem .... This is the 'GOTO' article.

Sometimes you have to try the procedure 5,6 or more times for it to work, trust me I have this kind of thing with my work and sometimes going for a cup of coffee and a bit of time away from the issue works wonders :grin:

Try the routines listed as you never know ..

I'm afraid in my experience it will be a new fob is required as its out of sync .

The third key btw is the valet key .. very few owners still have these .

It's what you used to give to the garage when working on your car or an emergency spare .

No remote .. you use the door lock .

New fob

Had the same problem with the one key that came with the car.

Tried all the re synching suggestions but none worked. Had to order new head from OPC and then had Terry @ Autostrasse code the new head to the car (top man did it FOC!)

I had a similar problem with my 1998 C2. When I bought it I was told that it hadn't been working for at least 7 years since before the last owner got it. I put new battery in with no joy when I got the car in May but hadn't done any more until today. I followed the guides to reset with battery reversed and then did the ignition reset which amazingly worked!

However the second key still doesn't work. After taking the key apart I can see why, the button microswitch connection on the circuit board is missing! So before you start looking for other issues I'd recommend making sure that everything is present.

I understand that you can buy the microswitches but at least I have one key working and don't need to rush to put key in ignition now!

Hi 996driver
So pleased that this thread has produced some positive result.

I think I am still relegated to the 'forever out of synch' situation with my second key.
I have had it apart, changed battery, reversed battery, followed all resynch instructions multiple times ..... All to no avail, but hey, I still have a fully functioning 'first key' .... And I actually have the rare, grey valet key.

As a newbie to this forum, in fact forums in general, I am now a confirmed fan...of the way in which knowledge can be shared to the benefit of members.

(Just wish it was my key!!)

I messaged those eBay people about mine. Didn't even get a reply.

Hugh, I have exactly the same issue as you. One working perfectly, one only unlocking the car and starting it but no remote.

I'd just leave it. You only need the spare to get in and start it and they only die when left in a drawer for years.

I'd pay upto £50 to get mine working but anything more that and I'm not going to bother. Crappiest keys ever mind! It's shocking how often they fail.
I had two one year old keys with my last car along with a receipt for almost £400 for the pair. One died at just over a year old. Total joke. :frustrated:

I have resolved why my spare key doesn't operate the central locking etc...
I opened the case to do the battery flip and the reset procedure and the case is empty!!

Are new internals available, what would need to be done if they are?

thanks
David

LOL!

Yeah you need a new remote key head. You have to buy a new one as it comes with a code attached to a piece of paper that you then have to pay someone with a PIWIS computer and access to Porsche codes to add it into your car.

You can buy a new keyhead from lots of places but only an OPC or a well established indy will be able to get access code for you car from Porsche.

I think OPC charge a min of 1 hour labour but it only takes like 5 minutes to do it....try a good indy.

To get the Ipas codes needed to code a new key then you just need to take a V5 into an opc and they will print them off for you .

It is after all Your data .. you just need to prove you own the car is all .

You do need a sensible tester to code it though .. Piwis or Autologic are the only ones i know of .

To be fair some guys on here own a piwis so could code their own keys .

labour at and indy and again an opc should be 0.5 hrs labour .

could someone provide a link to a new fob please, I presume I can use the old blade?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back