Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SC Buying Advice

Starting with an apology.... I had seen this car advertised before but not picked up on the replacement engine. Had there been engine bay pics then the engine type would have have left a question mark.

I suspect the 3.2 conversion at some time would have been considered as an upgrade over the original SC engine..the conversion could be considered as an advantage in terms of performance, reliability and serviceability up to a point ?

Not having matching numbers on a replacement engine identical in spec to that which was ORIGINALLY fitted would be likely to reduce the machines value by some degree. In this case to find an engine that is so obviously different in terms of it`s fuelling system etc. and being from a later model although perhaps not too different in design...Hmm?

As Scholster suggests the engine anomaly may more than likely reduce the cars "investment" potential, though by how much...?

Not sure that the engine swap would discourage ME as much as a machine that had been an Insurance write off at some time in it`s past, which would require a great deal more investigation to ascertain the quality of whatever repairs might have been carried out.... Another aspect of a CAT car is I believe the inability to change the registration plates, which may or may not be an issue for some buyers..?

If I picked up correctly it seems the Fuchs may not be original to the car (?) Thus if originally a non sport SC, it may be that the the suspension system or part thereof may not ideally match the lower profile of the tyres..?

The extra bolstering to the sides of the tombstone seats seems to hint at SC Sport specification, though that begs the question are they original to the car...?

Buying old sports cars can be a bit of a minefield. though can be rewarding for the real enthusiast, perhaps far more of a gamble for those seeking profit from their financial investment..?

Just thinking in type, more than happy to be corrected

Hello

Hi just joined the forum after reading Luddites posts he speaks a lot of sense over these cars

The fact its the wrong engine would put me off more than it not being the original one, I assume also you get much less idea of mileage done on the motor, at least a chassis usually comes with a mileage reading.

But the 3.2 is a better engine than the SC with the cam chain tensioners and Jetronic malarkey.

I've not been on here for a while, ironically given the OP wanting to go aircooled from a 996 Turbo, I'm here doing research prior to trying to flog my 3.2 to get into a 997 Gen 1 Turbo. But I dare say that will be another thread.

Carmad0151, I have had the GREAT pleasure of owning two SC`s one of 77 vintage and the other circa 1980, two superb machines but not without their ...err...foibles, which I forgave them given the amount of pleasure they provided me with over the years I owned them. As for their foibles.... well they had a lot less of those than any previous sports GT or other cars I has previously owned... (-:

Chester J Lampwick.. Perhaps using the term "wrong" to determine the replacement engine could seem a tad strong, given that it does seem a logical upgrade over the SC, and is the next in line Porsche upgrade not an engine that formerly lived in a Subaru or somesuch..?

I suspect the vehicle in question like MANY of it`s AGE and type may have experienced a variety of ..err..use and abuse in it`s lifetime.. after all it is a sports car... and while many may now live pampered lives as garage queens, they might have previously lived more like ladies of the night and been through the hands of many owners who gave them what today might be considered as rough treatment, before being polished up to hide the inevitable scars and to remove the signs of an unhappy history before being advertised in what seems like the sort of prose that resembles an unrecognisable description that an estate agent might use to describe very our own house..?

As for what is original and correct in relation to an old sports car and the value of that originality to an INVESTOR as opposed to someone who really wants to enjoy a particular machine in terms of it`s vices and virtues, you may be correct to use the term "wrong" in terms of the engine, even though the reality may well be an improvement over original.. Old Porsches can be FANTASTIC FUN but the "market" seems well overheated at the moment...?

Old sports cars as investments.... I would think that is not the place to be for much longer.... NOT that I am any kind of economist or financial advisor but as far as investment vehicles go, I suspect old cars have had their heyday...?

Just so happens I attended the recent Scottish Transport Extravaganza at Glamis Castle, a quite wonderful collection of "Classic" cars and much else collectable... it seemed to me that a great many owners were..err..mature, the majority perhaps even of my generation, which caused me to wonder about the much touted investment potential of such machinery in advertising plus the possible amount of "man maths" that may have become very involved in so many recreational vehicle (Classic car) purchases over the years...?
If my observations at Glamis were in any way reasonable then it seems just possible that as us older codgers slip off our perches, that the young perhaps deprived of reasonable job contracts, house buying opportunities and unlikely to be bought out of their jobs with golden handshakes and then into a reasonable pension situation... might just not be able to follow in our footsteps as we might hope..?

If I further consider that baby boomers and the like ever had dreams of Porsche Ferrari Morgan and other classic car ownership it seems logical (?) that in time as funds became available then the opportunity to acquire such a vehicle would be grabbed with both hands... I have no real idea of what the mid 20`s age group and younger ever had as pics on their walls, or perhaps I should be thinking of whatever image they have chosen to display on the front of their phone... whatever... but I suspect it might not be of some vehicle that is much older than them...? Sure there will be some youngsters who appreciate the finer things in life.... but how many...hmm..?

I am not a numbers thinker by nature, but looking at some car adverts for "classic" cars and what seems like not a lot of movement for some seemingly desirable machinery, I do wonder if the shine has come off the investment potential thinking...? Brexit is bound to play a part in the mindset of many and if statistics are correct then circa 50% of the population should be confident to keep on spending if they voted for it, so would that equate to circa 50% drop in the classic car market...but perhaps that is not the case..hmm.... at the moment but given the recent reported underhand dealings of some purveyors of Porsche perhaps struggling to survive in what might be a difficult market....hmm ?

Another rather obvious thought was the seemingly exponential growth in publicity relative to save the planet issues and how they will affect the investment value of "Classic" cars...?

My thinking is that it might be best to enjoy "classic" cars while you can, as they may become far less valued by the "market" and perhaps sooner than we might think, as I suspect there may be a limited market for garage queens (no insult intended) as seems may be a logical evolutionary ownership path for most fossil fuel burning machinery...?

So in conclusion Chester, I think it could be very astute of you to seek to trade your 3.2 for as new a Porsche as you can manage to acquire, given that older Porsches are most likely to be taxed higher and eventually legislated against in an expected evolutionary process...?

Would be more than happy to read any alternative thinking..

so, my take on things :dont know:
If the car has a different engine, little history etc, etc, it will be less money than the 30k mile one with impeccable history file? yes ?
So, come sale time, the now 32k mile + history file has gone up in value, surely the other one will also increase in value? I would say perhaps not as much, as its not as rare/special but at least you would not be scared to put a few miles and stone chips on the cheaper one.
Buy a car to enjoy unless you have deep pockets and do not want to drive it much. then you can go to Sotherbys or RM Auctions and buy an investment/display piece :thumb:

I personally preferred the revvy nature of my SC over my Carrera 3.2.
I changed the tensioners to the hydraulic type which was a very straighforward and cheap job to do.Although I'm going back nearly 25 years now :roll:
I do remember it feeling like an old car even then but in a good way!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back