Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I bought a C4 sight unseen off eBay for £8k

Sounds like an absolute steal, congratulations!

Was it the 'first time round" for this car? I've noticed a fair few 996's and 986's get re-listed again with them, some quite a few times, makes me wonder what others might have spotted (or perhaps just have unreasonable expectations)

I'm on the casual search for a 986.2 S to take a bit of the mileage burden off of the 4s and notice they have a few come up from time to time, have a slight niggling doubt at the back of my mind whether one of their cars could be a serious contender.

Dan

TurboRob said:
Often wondered what Sterling Cars gig is as they've been around a while and often have interesting cars to sell. Repossessed? Cheap trade-ins that won't sell at auction?

As far as I can tell they source all their stock from BCA Blackbushe. The photos on their listings are general taken in the auction house car park ! They definitely bid up their own cars but apart from meaning the cars effectively DO have a reserve I don't have a problem with it.

They're a no-frills high volume low margin dealer and make no bones about it.

Sundayjumper said:
They definitely bid up their own cars but apart from meaning the cars effectively DO have a reserve I don't have a problem with it.

I did suspect this, but didn't want to call it without my own personal experience, goes a way to explain a lot of the re-listings.

Dan

It's easy enough to see - click through the bidding history and then the history of each bidder. There's some people that "buy" a LOT of cars from them....

wilpert said:
I have dealt with Mark from Sterling cars, admittedly only over the phone but he is very helpful and seems to know his stuff, it looks like you got a good deal there.

911uk Moderator Comment.

Are you getting mixed up with Stirling Cars?

--> https://www.stirlings.co.uk/

That sounds like a super purchase. Well done! At that price you can still spend a few quid and have a good as new car.

Nothing like having to give a new to you car a thorough wash and valet to make it your own.

Detailing worl an ammonyc.com are you friend!

Sundayjumper said:
As far as I can tell they source all their stock from BCA Blackbushe.

Begs the question why more folk don't register to buy direct from BCA?

Just had a quick look on my phone, seems public can register to buy, not just traders, I'n not sure what the fees are, will have a proper look tonight.

Huntsman said:

it's a volume game.

Regular buyers get better commission rates with the auction house.

As a private buyer (assuming you actually want to see the car before buying it), you might have to go half a dozen times or more to find a car you like - that's a lot of annual leave / lost earnings.

Having one of your guys there buying 10+ cars at a time is miles more efficient.

Sundayjumper said:
Huntsman said:

it's a volume game.

Regular buyers get better commission rates with the auction house.

As a private buyer (assuming you actually want to see the car before buying it), you might have to go half a dozen times or more to find a car you like - that's a lot of annual leave / lost earnings.

Having one of your guys there buying 10+ cars at a time is miles more efficient.

I get all that, and for a Focarse diesel it just would not be worth it. But for a 911, use the auction house online facility it might?

Sterling Cars clearly making a few quid on each, perhaps the private commission might be a little less than Sterlings profit?

(I'm a risk taker!)

Happy for you, looks a steal and interesting feedback. Like others have suggested I was warry of buying anything from them as it looks a con :D. Interesting to hear it's not and much fairer than I'd thought!!!!

I also 'hate' you. Partly because of you I am getting lots of people offering me £8k for mine "because they go for £6-8k on eBay, mate!". Defo rather have it than £8k, top risk-taking :D. Looking forward to how the thread develops :D

iOlly said:
Happy for you, looks a steal and interesting feedback. Like others have suggested I was warry of buying anything from them as it looks a con :D. Interesting to hear it's not and much fairer than I'd thought!!!!

I also 'hate' you. Partly because of you I am getting lots of people offering me £8k for mine "because they go for £6-8k on eBay, mate!". Defo rather have it than £8k, top risk-taking :D. Looking forward to how the thread develops :D

Don't worry, I'll polish the headlights and stick it on Pistonheads with a really overly long and wordy ad for £16k next week and drag the prices back up ;)

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

Attachments

• f1e3fb29_8d6a_4fc9_86ea_6e6c88d62c51_874.jpeg
    f1e3fb29_8d6a_4fc9_86ea_6e6c88d62c51_874.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 3,074
Debugging :grin:

Sundayjumper said:
TurboRob said:
Often wondered what Sterling Cars gig is as they've been around a while and often have interesting cars to sell. Repossessed? Cheap trade-ins that won't sell at auction?

As far as I can tell they source all their stock from BCA Blackbushe. The photos on their listings are general taken in the auction house car park ! They definitely bid up their own cars but apart from meaning the cars effectively DO have a reserve I don't have a problem with it.

They're a no-frills high volume low margin dealer and make no bones about it.

They are exactly that. I bought a BMW for my wife from them back in 2010, sold it recently, great car. Really upfront with me as well. Take it for a spin, if you like it take it, if not no problem. It had a coolant light on (cracked expansion tank) but I took it and did just under 100k in it (sold it with 190K on it).

I spoke with the previous owner, he had traded it into BMW and the trade in value was about the same as I paid Sterling who bought it from BCA.

As you say they make a few hundred a car but sell lots of them, probably do pretty well for themselves.

Good buy OP :thumb:

Its a great business model, no part ex, no prep costs, no warranty, no servicing, no cleaning, just straight up in and out (ooer).

I can see how people might mistakenly think they bid up their own auctions by looking at the bidders, but I doubt thats the case, more likely that other small traders (one man bands, car for sale by the side of the road types) are bidding on lots of different cars of theirs hoping to get a bargain (as this one seems to be). Ive certainly bid on at lest 4 of their cars without winning.

I can also see how it looks shady that cars end and then get relisted, but it fits in with their simple 'try it before you buy it and walk away if you dont like it' sales technique. Good luck to them! :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back