Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Improving sound of Boxster S Gen1 Gen1 PSE

Hey folks, when a mate got a 986 S (Reading OPC Demo car) with every available option, including the same seats as his GT3... I wasn't a fan of the PSE aesthetics. That said, it's grown on me over the years and I now like the fact my car has it.

That said, the Boxster lacks the Porsche sound, it's boomy and not much else. Sounds like no other Porker I've been in, not a hint of any howling.

So what can be done? When Jonny at Precision walked me under the car I saw the exhaust manifolds are piddly to say the least. Could we start there to improve the exhaust note? Then maybe play around with the cats? Does this car have two sets like the Cayman 987? Could I lose a set or put sports cats in? Would this make the car sound more like a Porsche or do I need to lose the PSE?

Only caveat is I need to get the car through noise tests at Beford which are quite stringent. So I worry about spanking the cash then not being able to get on track.

Forget to mention the gundo hack is that doable on this car? It already has then valves welded open if that makes any difference to anything.

The gundo hack is essentially the pse but without the ability to switch on and off.

I see, so not going to help much :lol:

I'm hoping headers would help as that's an easy mod.

Anyone else got any experience of this? Quite a few people with a 986 in stock around here :lol:

Based on my limited experience of Boxsters/Cayman, the engines sound particularly sweet as standard.... better than a 911 in the cabin, IMHO.

Noisy exhausts can actually mask the sound of the engine and induction howl with boom and drone, and drive-by noise regs at track days seem to be an increasing issue.

Personally I'd revert to standard.

Hmmmm, poor outlook, Rob. It's doesn't sound like a Porsche.

The cats being changed for sport versions will probably make a bigger difference than the manifolds - but both will add a little power and torque, plus a deeper tone to the exhaust.

What I think works really well is to change the air filter to a K&N or BMC Panel. The howl under full load is fantastic, with a serious "harmonic" at high rpm. It's the induction shriek (IMHO) that you're after!

You can fit an induction kit as well as "de-snorkeling" it - but that might make it too noisy for the quieter trackdays!

I also gather that dependent on model year, some have "dead ends" and resonators that can be taken out, but I've not done this.

I've got no frame of reference in cats, take it they're pricy?

I want to put the 987 air box in eventually, so keeping a cold air feed. But for now you say just doing the filter can do it? Did think about de-snork, does that really add that much to the noise?

Would have to enquire on your last point. Cheers for the info thus far though.

The cats are pricey - think GBP 900 to 1000 - but should last for years and give you 10bhp and 10-15lb/ft across most of the rev range. The Cargraphic ones are works of art and you can choose between 200 Cel and 100 Cel. For less restrictive and super unrestrictive ....

Ah well if you're going to do the 987 Airbox - then I would do that and the filter at the same time. No point in doing it twice .... Oh yes the noise is great - but only under heavy / full throttle will you notice the big difference.

Cheers for heads up. How much do the headers cost and is there a go to make?

i had a carnewals gt exhaust on my cayman 987 and it sounded good.
It passed the sound check at Brands hatch but I havent a clue how it compares to other tracks.
Sounded good to me and didnt cost bundles.
I had mine fitted at my local indie and they were pretty well impressed with it too.

The return of Marty Wild said:
Cheers for heads up. How much do the headers cost and is there a go to make?

There used to be loads of manufacturers - but I think quite a few have stopped making them for the 986. The only ones I've seen, felt and heard were the Cargraphic ones. The fit was perfect and the quality was beautiful, plus the sound was deeper and more throaty. I imagine these with the cats and the PSE would sound epic (and although they add more torque than top end power, they will probably release a few bhp too)! But they are another GBP 850 or so ....

https://www.cargraphicts.com/en/pro...boxster-s-32l/catalytic-converters-rep-pipes/

Cheers gents, I will look into it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back