Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cleaning/protecting Alcantara

wilpert

Indianapolis
Ok, Mr paranoid here.
Collecting my BGTS this week and it has Alcantara interior.

I love the look of it combined with the leather and contrasting stitching.

Assuming it arrives with me pretty clean (11k vehicle should be pretty decent).

What do I use to keep it clena and if I do clean it, what should I use to protect it.
Anybody here done the same thing?

Wilpert, Kev KJD used warm soapy water and a soft nail brush on my knob :eek: :hand: ahem gear knob :grin: :grin: and it went from looking all flat and shiny with body oils to looking like it was brand new , I was amazed but I guess as its a man made product you can clean it that way :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
....... I was amazed but I guess as its a man made product you can clean it that way :thumb:

"Man made" :eek:

You mean the bloke who sold me shares in an alcantara farm and then said they'd all been stolen was a con-man. :sad:

I did the Alcantara seat inserts on my daily Merc a couple of weeks back, the Alcantara was looking the same as the leather on the rest of the drivers seat :sad:

A soft nailbrush and a £2.99 can of RAC interior upholstry spray foam cleaner and it all came up like new, be gentle when brushing ( I just gently brushed side to side, one panel at a time), then blot it up with a damp microfibre when clean, then leave it to dry :thumb:

thanks all, I too thought an alcantara was a kind of animal like an alpaca or a cuddly four legged thing. Well id didn't really but i thought it was like a suede type of thing.

turns out its like polyester and was invented by a japanese bloke.

So why is it so expensive.

Alcantara was beloved of 1980s/90s Lancias. Happy days. I'll be interested to hear about how you get on cleaning up the gear-lever / steering wheel. :thumbs:

It seem s to be tough stuff. After 35000 miles my steering wheel was looking rather shiney. A YouTube vid showed a cleaning method using soapy water and a micro cloth. It worked really well. I used the same lightly on other panels just to freshen them up. Very pleased with the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back