Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Would you say

Supersport Mike

Trainee
That the 997 is the last of the 911s that actually look like 911s , the later 911s 991/992s are huge and I think they have lost there looks

It's just evolution. Every generation has a similarity to its predecessor.

At what point did man cease to become man?

heObeso.jpg

Supersport Mike said:
That the 997 is the last of the 911s that actually look like 911s , the later 911s 991/992s are huge and I think they have lost there looks
Yes. 997.2 C2S manual in GT Silver is the epitome of all things 911. The perfect blend of classic looks, underpinned by modern technology. It doesn't get better than that

So you wouldn't do a straight swap for a 991.2 GT2 RS?

:hand: that wasn't the question. Find me someone who has a GT2RS to swap with my car and then put me on the spot. :grin:

I think the 991's are great looking cars, a perfect modern interpretation of the 911 shape. The rear 3/4 is particularly cool!

And the targa is :cloud9:

As a man who sold his 997.2 to buy a 991.2 GTS and then sold it 8 weeks later as it had no soul..... am I biased if I say yes as I am back in the market for a 997.2 :lol:

Richtw said:
As a man who sold his 997.2 to buy a 991.2 GTS and then sold it 8 weeks later as it had no soul..... am I biased if I say yes as I am back in the market for a 997.2 :lol:

Similar story to me went 991.1 4s nice car but just didn't connect with it went for a 997 GTS which is fantastic.

Hmmmmm, the 991/992 generations of the 911 do still look like a 911, I feel they have become more of a GT car as opposed to a sports car, too long, too wide, too fat and too heavy, they are what they are, but I wouldn`t want one for what I use my cars for, they are still beautiful though :grin:

But then again I`m an old fart, who becomes more and more enthusiastic about older cars by the day :thumbs:

As stated earlier:

heObeso.jpg

Supersport Mike said:

I suspect that something similar was said in 1974, 1993 and 1998. :D

The great thing is that in silhouette they are all undeniably 911 shaped.

ps. I've moved your thread from the 997 sub-forum to remove the likely bias from respondees. :wink:

Yes. 997.2 C2S manual in GT Silver is the epitome of all things 911. The perfect blend of classic looks, underpinned by modern technology. It doesn't get better than that

...... Apart from it being boring silver I might agree ...... :)

madalaa said:

...... Apart from it being boring silver I might agree ...... :)
Mike, one of the great benefits of the history of the Porsche design is it's understated looks(in non GT form) and GT Silver is the one colour that encompasses that understatedness. Mate that to the 997.2 C2S in manual along with a cocoa interior and you have reached what some might call unobtanium. It was the past, present and future all in one package. As spongebob says, you know it makes sense :grin:

T8 said:
Supersport Mike said:

I suspect that something similar was said in 1974, 1993 and 1998. :D

The great thing is that in silhouette they are all undeniably 911 shaped.

ps. I've moved your thread from the 997 sub-forum to remove the likely bias from respondees. :wink:

Indeed. Its also fair to say the 911 was originally intended as a GT, not a sports car. As such, the 991's packaging is right.

Its a remarkable feat that Porsche designers have managed to keep the essential ingredients of the 911 shape despite the introduction or water cooling, improved aerodynamics and ever increasing safety requirements.

Its also a real plus they've maintained the option of 2+2 seating, which most other manufacturers in this segment have abandoned on packaging grounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back