Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air Con Re-Charge

Shedman

Anyone got an opinion on this ? In preparation for my summer jaunt to Italy/France etc my mind has focused recently on the air conditioning in my 993 Targa. So I did a quick test:

Ambient temperature is about 21.4 C

I tested the centre vents of my car and control for temperature

2014 BMW 530d (Control) 3.2 C
993 (with air con on max) 8.2 C
993 (air con switched off) 17.6 C - fan at setting 2

All seems to work okay fan wise and the AC is clearly doing something. But is it enough ? Anyone think I should have someone look at recharging it ?

47ºF at the vents is pretty good. Mine was recording that last week in Palm Springs after a new condenser. Sadly it is now pissing water over my feet on inclines and tight corners, and the temperature nowhere near as low.

tyinsky said:
47ºF at the vents is pretty good. Mine was recording that last week in Palm Springs after a new condenser. Sadly it is now pissing water over my feet on inclines and tight corners, and the temperature nowhere near as low.

Hope you are enjoying your trip as much as we are all enjoying the updates. Looks like a great adventure.

On the AC I guess the ambient temperature was a lot higher in Palm Springs than it is here in Essex so I may still have a problem.

Shedman said:
tyinsky said:

Hope you are enjoying your trip as much as we are all enjoying the updates. Looks like a great adventure.

On the AC I guess the ambient temperature was a lot higher in Palm Springs than it is here in Essex so I may still have a problem.

Certainly hotter in Las Vegas than Bas Vegas!

When was it last recharged?

If it's been a few years and you're heading to France (which is v hot at the moment) then it's a no-brainer for the sake of under £100.

Bas Vegas - LOL. I don't remember it being called that when I lived in Wickford.

There is a foam strip that sits between the plasic vents and the metal feeder tube behind the dash. This strip will likely have perished and disappeared over the years which allows air to blow behind the dash rather than trough the vents. Only a small thing but can make a difference.

ras62 said:
There is a foam strip that sits between the plasic vents and the metal feeder tube behind the dash. This strip will likely have perished and disappeared over the years which allows air to blow behind the dash rather than trough the vents. Only a small thing but can make a difference.

Thanks I'll take a look.

Leosayer said:
When was it last recharged?

If it's been a few years and you're heading to France (which is v hot at the moment) then it's a no-brainer for the sake of under £100.

Bas Vegas - LOL. I don't remember it being called that when I lived in Wickford.

Thanks, that's the trigger I needed.

The groupon deal is back on. Just ordered my £45 regal with antibacterial stuff.
Mine works fine but as you've said heading to France etc soon so it's best to give it a fighting chance.

:thumb:

Shedman said:
Anyone got an opinion on this ? In preparation for my summer jaunt to Italy/France etc my mind has focused recently on the air conditioning in my 993 Targa. So I did a quick test:

All seems to work okay fan wise and the AC is clearly doing something. But is it enough ? Anyone think I should have someone look at recharging it ?

That sounds about right to me, did you use a temp probe :?:

tyinsky said:

Sounds like the drain tube is blocked or not vented correctly from the evaporator to underneath the car :dont know:

Zingari said:
tyinsky said:

Sounds like the drain tube is blocked or not vented correctly from the evaporator to underneath the car :dont know:

Thanks. I'm going to suffer with it now and fix when it returns to the U.K. don't t want to lose precious driving days with it in the workshop 🇺🇸🤠

jonttt said:
Shedman said:

That sounds about right to me, did you use a temp probe :?:

Just a cooking probe, it's all I had.

Thanks all for the input. I took it to a local garage and got it done today. He said it had lost roughly 50% of the refrigerant. Not sure I can notice a huge difference but it's worth getting it done for piece of mind. I'm still hoping France gets a bit cooler.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back