Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello and help!!

DiamondWright

Hello all, I joined the forum a couple of months ago when I bought my 1st 911. Its a 07/56 plate C4S manual in Atlas Grey or was as it's been wrapped in satin perfect blue and I absolutely love it, or rather did until this weekend!
It has developed a fault that has me stumped so hoping someone maybe able to point me in the right direction as local Indy can't have a look until 16th July.
I can open the car with the remote, put key in the ignition and all lights come on but when I press the clutch in to start it everything goes off and I can't get the key out the ignition or work anything. Then if I plug my optimizer into cigarette socket all power is restored but as soon as clutch is depressed it powers down again! I've checked battery and it's 13.7 amp so no problem there and it's also had new starter motor and cable. I had the AA out and they tried a couple of things with the battery and then in the end took the neutral lead off for 5 mins, out it back on and it started 1st time. I drove the car home and parked it on the drive, went out next day and it started 1st time, didn't move it as I didn't need to use it, came out this morning and it has the same non start fault which is very strange as the car hasn't even moved etc.
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

I've read elsewhere that 997s have a clutch switch that can play up... It's there to prevent the car from being started in gear.

I understand it can be disconnected, have a dig around online.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've read about the clutch pedal switch fault but from what I've read when they fail you just get a message saying press the clutch pedal to start rather than it wiping out all the electrics, it's like it's triggering the immobiliser.

I think that might be something else. I had that, where the switch fails, so it doesn't think you have the clutch down, so wont start the car, and just says "depress clutch". What I think that reply says is there is another part which is to stop you starting the car in gear, which if that is acting up, is the problem.

I might be wrong!

Assume your car is a manual?

If you depress the clutch and hold in in the start position then if there is a fault with the clutch pedal switch it will say in the display depress clutch .. takes about 5 seconds to come up ( key held in the start position ) .

What you seem to be describing is a total power failure when the car goes to turn the starter .. only one thing i can think of with that fault ..

link here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=power+dist

Possible corroded power distributor pin .

I had the clutch switch fail on mine, threw up the 'depress clutch' message as above. When i told my local indy about it they said there's 2 switches in there, what does the other one do if the switch that failed on mine was the one thinking my clutch wasn't depressed? (mines a Gen 2).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back