Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2 v 4 wheels drive

Zingari said:
jonttt said:
This thread has got too serious, lets get back to questions raised of Alex's manlyness ...... or not :judge:

What 'camp' are you in :oops:

C4 is the only way to go.................unless its a GT car

I'm in your camp as always :grin:

jonttt said:
This thread has got too serious, lets get back to questions raised of Alex's manlyness ...... or not :judge:

Jonttt,

Alex must be right.....4 is better than 2.....
I mean.....remember Spinal Tap?
Theirs was all the way up to 11... :grin:

2 for me with a set of winters for the 'winter!"

Mind you a 4 GTS or a Turbo S would be nice.

What are winters?

Alex said:
What are winters?

An additional set of wheels fitted with Winter tyres.

:duh:

Alex said:

Long day yesterday and I was struggling for something sarcastic to say!

:grin:

Here we go again :grin:

'Man" wheel drive for me :hand: :coat:

since I have no feel in my right foot and is rather heavy also my sets of skills are not adequate to performance of my car I have find out about it hard way, I just keep 4 for longer, as they say - It takes two to tango. :grin:

I don't really understand the hatred of the Carrera/Targa/GTS/Turbo etc 911 4 in the Porsche community.

I've got a 4, and I drive it all year round, in the rain, snow, ice, sun, rain, pollen, gravel, and mist, because it's my car. I must say it's far less of a 4 than any of our previous 4WDs or AWDs, as, most of the time (which is to say about all the time), ooh maybe only about 100% of the power goes to the rear wheels (even the skinny 295 section ***** from Nokian Renkaat).

It is about as completely different to drive as it is possible to get from any quattro, Haldex, 4Motion, syymetrical AWD, Xdrive or Land Rover as I have ever had the pleasure to pedal over the years. And as far as I can tell, almost completely exactly the same to drive as a 911 2 - although no-one's let me out on a track in a 2 to date. Maybe it's just a bit bobbier at the front end.

At the end of the day, in my limited experience as a non Level 1 Driving God the main advantage of the 4 in my 911 is to pull me straight when I'm looking at trees and rocks dead ahead out of the side windows.

But that's just me. :frustrated:

If you debadged two otherwise identical cars (1 4wd and 1 2wd) and drove each one on a dry track..... very few people would be able to tell which was which. On a wet track... of course the 4 would thrash the 2! :D

MaxA said:
I don't really understand the hatred of the Carrera/Targa/GTS/Turbo etc 911 4 in the Porsche community ...........

........... At the end of the day, in my limited experience as a non Level 1 Driving God the main advantage of the 4 in my 911 is to pull me straight when I'm looking at trees and rocks dead ahead out of the side windows.

But that's just me. :frustrated:

I don't think there's a particular hatred of those cars it's just that there's different types of 911 owner. Some prefer the purist versions (2wd, manual, rev happy) whilst others prefer the more composed all round driving experience that 4wd and/or automatic and/or turbocharged 911s can deliver.

I've driven lots of 2wd 911s and never had 'a moment' but I've only ever owned 4wd 911s as I know that with time I'd be inclined to push them harder and probably become complacent.

Like you I'm no driving god so I need 473 bhp, a Tip' box and 4wd to keep those that are in sight when I'm out with them. :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back