Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to me 996 turbo

Congratulations, lovely looking car. They really are great cars and so undervalued.

Darren

Had my first 996T for over 5 years now. Said i would modify it. Never have. Each time i drive it it's like driving Miss Daisy when driven normally, and then like Gone In 60 Seconds when properly pushed. The loonacy when pushing on (even in stock form) is staggering.

A passenger ride the other year in MCs modified 996T shows what can be achieved thru modification. Genuinely made my ballistic stock 996T feel like a Mondeo, such was the difference in acceleration between mine and his :)

Best place for your 996T is with you in the driving seat on a B road, not on your drive :thumb:

Lovely car...only modification I've done on mine is a klein exhaust.
Absolutely howls now and is highly recommended.

Looks to be a lovely car.
I am 5 years in now and earlier this year took the opportunity to have Ken at 9E work his magic with a 9E38 upgrade.
74mm TB, IPD plenum and Kline exhaust.
It really does transform the car. Most of the difference I think is in the mapping. It now picks up and makes boost far quicker.

But even standard they are a darn fine machine, no doubt.

Enjoy.

simonsti said:
Lovely car...only modification I've done on mine is a klein exhaust.
Absolutely howls now and is highly recommended.

That does sound nice - my c2 used to howl at 4000rpm, the turbo does not. I have a cargraphic catback exhaust fitted by Parr I believe, which sounds lovely at idle and sort of "meaty" when Sunday driving but it doesnt have the howl at high revs....

Pickse said:
Looks to be a lovely car.
I am 5 years in now and earlier this year took the opportunity to have Ken at 9E work his magic with a 9E38 upgrade.
74mm TB, IPD plenum and Kline exhaust.
It really does transform the car. Most of the difference I think is in the mapping. It now picks up and makes boost far quicker.

But even standard they are a darn fine machine, no doubt.

Enjoy.

Looks like a very good packace - 9e used to service my c2. I would imagine a good investment made, I would be happy to pay a premium for a car with a 9e upgrade package....

Quick question:

Am I right in thinking the "twin" element of the turbo set up is two identical, large turbos? Rather than a small / large set up? I ask partly because I have provoked very little boost in 1st gear - and I am not sure whether that is due to me being unwilling to floor the car in circumstances when I am in first gear (ie in town) and therefore I havent actually properly tested this or whether there just isnt much boost. Once in second, obviously it is a different story.....

jboy said:
Quick question:

Am I right in thinking the "twin" element of the turbo set up is two identical, large turbos? Rather than a small / large set up? I ask partly because I have provoked very little boost in 1st gear - and I am not sure whether that is due to me being unwilling to floor the car in circumstances when I am in first gear (ie in town) and therefore I havent actually properly tested this or whether there just isnt much boost. Once in second, obviously it is a different story.....

There are two turbos, one for each side. The boosted air from each meets in the Y pipe just ahead of the throttle body.

Pickse said:
jboy said:
Quick question:

There are two turbos, one for each side. The boosted air from each meets in the Y pipe just ahead of the throttle body.

Thanks - I assume both boost at the same time, explaining the rush at 3000 rpm and comparative lack of action in the 1000-2000 rpm range? Apologies for the questions, I am more used to sequential systems which start to boost in the low range until the larger turbo takes over....

Yes, both the same size, both operating in the same way. Like having two 3 cylinder engines with a common exhaust and inlet manifold.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back