Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

Endoman said:
Very nice, same sytem I ran but found the Dansk cans a bit droney so swapped to Fabspeed cans. the RSRs were best sound imho raspy and not too loud.

Started it briefly earler and sounded lovely but wont get the chance to go on the road with it until the weekend at the earliest to try it out.

Its difficult with exhausts because all the youtube clips in the world wont tell you if its a sound your looking for or will be happy with.
It'll be an expensive mistake if im not happy with this set up!

RSR's do seem the go to cans but if i go down that route it will be a new set as i think my standard ones are past their best corrosion wise.

Thanks Endoman and i'll hpefully report back over the weekend.

Re: Rear end refurb C4

Hubba hubba.. 8)

Attachments

• img_5840_124_110.jpg
    img_5840_124_110.jpg
    867.9 KB · Views: 1,998
Last years mileage was significantly down on the previous 16 years but I still have needed to flash the cash and dust off the Snap on tools this year.

In line with my policy of preventative maintenance, I changed the distributor drive belt and bearings with a kit* from Diddi at 228 euros.

Almost as soon as this work was completed I fitted a new indicator unit which was bought from Type 911 at £255 plus carriage and Vat and fitted.

* I still have a spare set of disturber parts for sale at 170 euros

New distributor belts, rotors and caps. Thanks to the guys at Precision. This was the second attempt to get the distributor out as back in November, during a full service, it proved impossible to remove. They greased it up and advised I try again when the car came out of winter storage. Even so it took quite a while to get it out. Anyone else had this problem? First change in 22 years I believe! They built these cars properly!

Airbag bracket replaced, no more tooting horn on braking

Chuffed

Ordered new leather cover for centre console from Southbound so it'll match the rest of the interior (door cards, entire rear all now leather but also, importantly, cup holder, handbrake surround and gear gaiter are all new leather, so it stuck out!). Can't wait for it to arrive and be installed.

Now...where do I get a leather dash for less than the price of a small car? :?:

Albionmuz said:
This was the second attempt to get the distributor out as back in November, during a full service, it proved impossible to remove. They greased it up and advised I try again when the car came out of winter storage. Even so it took quite a while to get it out. Anyone else had this problem?

Yes, I recently removed the distributor on my 993 C4, but would not describe it as impossible.

I started off by removing the securing stud and with the help of plenty of spray and light tapping with a hammer I eventually managed to get the distributor to rotate but was unable to extract it.

The fan assembly and casing were then removed to get better access.

A light chain (25 mm links and shackles) was secured around the distributor with a loop over the top.

Using a pry bar I could then put some pressure on the distributor assembly in the" in line" direction.

More spray, light taping, additional leverage with bags of patience and care and it finally came out.

Be careful and gently - if you can find a replacement I suspect you will then fully appreciate the expression "Porsche Tax".

Albionmuz said:
Airbag bracket replaced, no more tooting horn on braking

Chuffed

Did mine recently too, the rubber rings were shot compared to the new ones. Also glad I bought the whole frame with rubbers already installed, didn't fancy gluing them in myself.

Trev

These:

I've had a fixed wing for 3 years now, and won't be re-fitting the rear wiper as I changed the screen too - so can get rid of those switches and move the sunroof switch to the console.
Now just to fit them.....

Attachments

• 20190622_104845_175.jpg
    20190622_104845_175.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 1,626
Never seen that handbrake surround before. Do you have the part no? Or is it a diy? Handy place for a rain light switch.
I have a rain light on the 944 produces some interesting reactions from tail-gaters.

Endoman said:
Never seen that handbrake surround before. Do you have the part no? Or is it a diy? Handy place for a rain light switch.
I have a rain light on the 944 produces some interesting reactions from tail-gaters.

Here you go - it's for the Targa, they must have another switch?
What I didn't realise until I got it all striped out today is that I also needed a switch surround :frustrated:

From the PET

Parking brake cover
Illustration 809-15 part 9 (993.552.539.00)
£56 at OPC with PCGB discount

Retaining Frame
Illustration 933-05 part 11A (911.613.615.01)
I'll order this one tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20190622_104907_104.jpg
    20190622_104907_104.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 1,562
AndyS said:
Endoman said:

What I didn't realise until I got it all striped out today is that I also needed a switch surround :frustrated:

From the PET

Parking brake cover

Retaining Frame

It's for the spoiler switch. I guess there wasn't enough space available with having the roof switch and roof curtain switch alongside the rear wiper switch on the lower dash

Albionmuz said:
AndyS said:
Endoman said:

From the PET

Parking brake cover

Retaining Frame

It's for the spoiler switch. I guess there wasn't enough space available with having the roof switch and roof curtain switch alongside the rear wiper switch on the lower dash

I have done the same on mine, but cut the hole in my original non targa hand brake surround to fit the switch/surround. The RS compartment is so useful for wallet and keys etc, my fav mod and fairly inexpensive when modding the handbrake surround. :thumbs:

The parts I bought

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsc2C3jFXC1/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

The compartment and the switch installed

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsyf0LYF606/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

andyobro said:
I have done the same on mine, but cut the hole in my original non targa hand brake surround to fit the switch/surround. The RS compartment is so useful for wallet and keys etc, my fav mod and fairly inexpensive when modding the handbrake surround. :thumbs:

The parts I bought

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsc2C3jFXC1/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

The compartment and the switch installed

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsyf0LYF606/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Cheers Andy :thumb:

I've ordered the switch surround today - so will get back on this at the weekend....
Tell - how did you go about extending the wires for the switch?

I'll be moving the sunroof switch and it's 4 pretty thick wires, so probably need some slick connectors with the new RS cubby taking all the free space.

Also - it looks like you've kept the spoiler switch.....are you sunroof-less?

A few jobs done.

Time flies, this was actually late February. :oops:

Dieter Refurbished my distributor to his very high standards, it was a job on the to do list ever since I got the car.

Before and after and the new bearings.

Then last week I had the steering rack off and rebuilt by WPS (Western Power Steering) in Bristol. Great service, and now the steering feels better than ever.
Working my way through the car steadily. :thumb:

Attachments

• 472f8d2b_fc99_4bb2_ba48_c2a1f6b65bed_865.jpeg
    472f8d2b_fc99_4bb2_ba48_c2a1f6b65bed_865.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,243
  • 31a7381c_217d_45ef_a126_0ced3dc79195_105.jpeg
    31a7381c_217d_45ef_a126_0ced3dc79195_105.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,243
  • 341eb7c9_d0b3_41bd_8c7b_27f4eafa9bb5_640.jpeg
    341eb7c9_d0b3_41bd_8c7b_27f4eafa9bb5_640.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,243

Forum statistics