Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello! ...what is the consensus on low mileage cars?

It doesn't seem to affect infrasilver in his targa when he's whizzing round a track........and that's basically a cab with a glass roof welded on.

I have zero experience of water cooled Porsches, however I spent many a year bringing old cars back to life, Porsche included, all be it air cooled. I do like Phil 997`s idea a lot, and more so given the issues that seem to crop up rarely but just too often for me with regard to the 996/997.1

I ever admired the build quality of Porsche, the body shut lines were ever first class and the interior trim and body could still look as good as new at 100k miles, thus I suspect if you could find one with a damaged but REPAIRABLE engine by the likes of Hartech at reasonable cost then you have dodged the bullet in the game of Russian roulette that many Porsche owners seem to suffer from to some degree...? The difficulty is knowing that the damaged engine is economically viable for YOU which I suspect few might find simple to ascertain without having it in bits...? So perhaps not a simple option as might be initially thought..?

In an OLD sports car, especially one as sophisticated as a water cooled Porsche, not having a sun roof is something less to go wrong in terms of the mechanics as well as the electrics but the drainage system can also block in time and create a trap for corrosion to begin. BUT in terms of weight or body flex, for a road car I suspect that is a non issue... Personally in my climate I would much rather do without the complexities of air con and it`s maintenance issues, more so with the passage of time. I prefer the idea of having the opportunity to open the sun roof and windows to get a good blow through on the rather rare very hot day. In Winter I really enjoyed driving on cold days with the sun roof alone wide opened...

However, if you have to spend rather too much time sitting in traffic with the sun beating down... then I guess air-con wins hands down..?

As for old cars with rather low miles, that can equate to the oil having lots of time to drain down and from vital areas, to even dry out to some degree, which can perhaps equate to the next time it is fired up causing more wear than many thousands of miles..? Add to that possible partially sticking brakes, causing scored discs and worn pads on the very rare run out, then there are possible brake pipe corrosion issues, given unheated and poorly ventilated garages can cause condensation, in some climates more than others..

Yeah you get the picture but old cars provide a lot of interest excitement and pride in ownership in excess of their cost when compared to newer editions of the same model... Buying an old sports car will ever carry an element of RISK, but if you are aware of the possible problems and can face up to them if and when they show up, YOU have the potential to own and drive other than a mundanemobile :?:

Good luck in your choices.. :?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back