Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo brakes vs 996 GT3 six pot brakes

I'd would've gone for the 6 pot Brembo calipers, but the prices have been hiked up several times in the last 10 years, from about £700 a pair to £1700 now. Secondhand prices are about 70-75% of the new prices and have gone up to track the prevailing price.

Interestingly Porsche/Brembo brakes were universally praised when the cars were new. I reckon it's the combination of poor pads or discs combined with people's expectations has resulted in them being slated.

The change to 350mm discs and new pads (using the existing 4 pot calipers) have been a significant improvement, well worth doing.

There's a yellow pair on eBay, will be interesting to see what they go for, currently 380 after 1 day with 8 days to run.

I've been quoted 250 to refurbish mine, fully painted which i will be doing when I get the car back.

I've been looking at brakes recently- not for the 911 but for the C55.

A pair of front callipers are £1,002 from Mercedes- these are six pot Brembo units. On eBay they're ~£650 for a haggard set that will need a £250 refurb.

Which means you ultimately 'save" £50 per caliper, but have no warranty and much more faffing around.

I'm going to buy them new, from Mercedes.

Dammit said:
A pair of front callipers are £1,002 from Mercedes- these are six pot Brembo units. On eBay they're ~£650 for a haggard set that will need a £250 refurb.

Which means you ultimately 'save" £50 per caliper, but have no warranty and much more faffing around.

I'm going to buy them new, from Mercedes.

I'd concur, for that little a price differential, I'd buy new.

If it wasn't for the price gouging approach by Porsche, the people who'd benefit from the 6 pots would buy new too.

What's a refurbed set worth nowadays then? I've got a pair that will be getting refurbed this week. Was toying with putting them on the car but if they're worth decent money I might just sell them.

It's worth considering the fact a standard Carrera with new tyres, quality pads and discs and appropriate new fluid for the intended application, will out brake a poorly setup Turbo or GT3.

The hardware isn't always the fault, it can be the consumables around it.

Just food for thought, and the GT2 cooling ducts are a nice upgrade to any 996 below the GT2 for additional rotor cooling.

Jim.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back