Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 now with Ice cold AC

Just a heads up on a deal, Groupon voucher for ATS Euromaster Anti-Bac AC plus Regas for £44 instead of £70.

They pressure tested system up to 10 bar as a check, was half expecting a fail but held test and all good. My 996 after nearly 2 years keeps impressing me with these little gestures all's well, they really are special cars to own! I found the staff friendly and surprisingly knowledgeable on these cars, they offer full refund if car doesn't hold pressure.

Now all set for the, not so sweaty drive down to Le Mans next week, thumbs up from my Lapis blue car on the way down to any fellow Porsche drivers heading down! :thumbs:

I do have to say .. with the cost of refilling an empty system then i have no idea how these places manage these prices .. it's pretty much what it costs in gas let alone their time taken .

When you see an offer like this i would advise anyone to have it checked and gassed .

My experience with ATS is rather different.

Glad you got it sorted OP.

My local Kwikfit were very knowledgeable on this but I believe this is a one off!

My AC re-gas (full) cost £120. Place had to charge me twice because the 996 takes so much refrigerant.

heed said:
My AC re-gas (full) cost £120. Place had to charge me twice because the 996 takes so much refrigerant.

:floor: You really fell for that?

Even is it was double what most cars are, which it isn't, the price you pay isn't just for the refrigerant. So they charged you double labour too?

Alex said:
heed said:

:floor: You really fell for that?

Even is it was double what most cars are, which it isn't, the price you pay isn't just for the refrigerant. So they charged you double labour too?

I was happy to pay double to get it done there and then as I was getting an alignment done at the same place. Mine was empty so needed the full 900-odd grams. R134a isn't that cheap to be honest.

At the time I felt I was overpaying by about £40, so didn't seem bad at all given it saved me one less trip.

They all need the full 900 grams as even the ones with any already in are vac'd out and replenished with new.

Cheers for the heads up OP. Just noticed that on the coldest setting my air con is like being breathed on by a dog.

TBH I'm in 2 minds about getting it done as we've already had 2 warmish days up here this year so summer must be nearly over.

The technician advised, If you're AC system de-pressurises quicker than expected, but did hold pressure. He suggest, Buy an STP AC Leak fix product (£20) and return back to him and he'd fill the system again with the STP product and new gas for the cost of refill. Seemed a lot cheaper than the alternative, like I said seemed a good bunch :thumbs:

The ATS offer seems to be quite a regular thing on Groupon.
For the last 4 years I have been having all our cars pressure tested and re-gassed at ATS using Groupon vouchers.

Seems to appear on the site about May and pops up routinely until September.

Very good value for money and given that older cars will loose refrigerant more commonly and routinely than newer models I view it as a annual service item and sit back and enjoy the icy blast :thumb:

i've just done some quick calculations and the cost of the gas for a 996 is about £23 for the garage to buy .

If sold at £44 for a regas then its a pretty poor profit margin .

Machine hooked up and doing this will take about 1 hr .

Time taken for a mechanic .. about 15 mins to be fair .. garage space though and a machine tied up .. and there are maintenance costs for these machines as well .

Stop leak .. a new one on me but always worth a try .. its normal to lose about 10 % per year through normal leakage .. a small pin prick hole and it will be a bit more .. if this stuff seals it even if only for a few years then it helps imho .

Pressure test is additional labour and at least another 20 mins if done with nitrogen .

Aircon regas is a loss leader. When I've had mine done at kwikfit they like to try and flog you some tyres whilst you're there.

Short story regards this company .. also many years ago . .. things might have changed since then .

Wife went in for an exhaust replacement .. yeah i know .. i was busy ..

got a phone call from her .. garage WONT let me take the car as they say the brakes are dangerous ..

I speak to manager .. point out who i am .. what i do and i've seen the brakes and there is nothing wrong with them .. also mention court proceedings ... wife takes the car with an apology .. not been back since .

Take the cheap stuff then move on imho .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back