Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Been reversed into. Quick estimate of new parts.

cheshire911 said:
Legzr1 said:
Thanks for all the replies.

Decided to do the right thing and it's now in the hands of the insurers.
All the details supplied by the other driver have checked out and he's insured so first worry is out of the way.

The car (2003 C2 with turbo fromt PU, aero skirts and rear wing and dodgy '997 look' headlight covers) is being picked up on Monday for assessment. I had a quick chat with my insurer and nothing is guaranteed until full inspection but the chance of it being written off is quite high - as already mentioned above the cost of new OE plastic is quite scary :x

Thanks for the post mentioning using used parts to get it back to fair condition - my insurer mentioned the option of buy-back if written off - around 20% of settlement.
This is a high mileage low spec 996 so I won't be expecting a great offer but that means a buy-back would be around £2000. That makes for a cheap 911! (Trying to look for positives...).

I've got an image of the damage taken just after it happened but it's not the best and doesn't really show the difference in gap between wing and bonnet or the crack in The headlight but I'll try posting it here.

Again, thanks for the replies.

In general, a total loss (write-off) starts to look possible when repairs are around 50-60% of the Insurance company estimate of the car's value. If its insured for agreed value that figure will not be based on their estimate of the car's (market) value, but the agreed valuation.

I'm not sure about your buy-back calculation if its written off.
I understand it to mean that if you want to keep the write-off vehicle, they will make a deduction of 20% off their wtite off value that they will give you. So that means if they offer £12k as a write off and you elect to keep the scrapped car, they will only pay 80% of their offer = £9,600 and then you can meet your own repair costs (if thats what you want) or dispose of the vehicle yourself.

Maybe I didn't explain too well, sorry.

I haven't got an agreed value policy so will be open to whatever guide the other parties Insurance company care to use.

Realistically, the value due to mileage (155,000!!) will probably be around 8-10K. It's currently sitting on new suspension, top mounts, coffin arms etc and just had new discs, pads and brake lines all round. Probably another £5000 on top of that last year too but I'm not sure if that will have any bearing on the value in this situation.
When I spoke to my insurer he (strangely I thought) explained using the terms I used in my earlier post but the likelihood is would happen as you've explained it - an offer made then 20% subtracted if I keep the car.

Good news is that the at-fault drivers' insurer rang me to say they've accepted full liability and have offered a hire car - my own insurer already offered the hire car and it's just been delivered. My insurer also asked me to politely decline any offers from the other parties insurer.

Now, this is where things get tricky in regards to writing my car off...

This is all guesswork but just the parts that are obviously damaged and need repairing seem to total over £4000 using the link kindly posted above (thanks!). That's without brackets and stuff that will need sorting. Then there's paintwork. And, after looking at hire car paperwork they're estimating the term at 30-90 days at £87 a day. £2600 - £7800 in addition to the £4000+ and paint and fitting etc.Eek!!

Looking at those sort of numbers, I can guess what's going to happen :x

What's a catD (or whatever the new equivalent cat is these days), 155,000 mile 996.2 C2 going to be worth? Any guess would be welcome. Oh, it's a Tiptronic too is you need to knock 50% off the guess :D

Picture from last week after a quick wash and wax...

Attachments

• 222c07d5_dcd3_4f18_8a00_e688f7fc4e32_668.jpeg
    222c07d5_dcd3_4f18_8a00_e688f7fc4e32_668.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 3,041
Legzr1 said:
cheshire911 said:
Legzr1 said:

All the details supplied by the other driver have checked out and he's insured so first worry is out of the way.

The car (2003 C2 with turbo fromt PU, aero skirts and rear wing and dodgy '997 look' headlight covers) is being picked up on Monday for assessment. I had a quick chat with my insurer and nothing is guaranteed until full inspection but the chance of it being written off is quite high - as already mentioned above the cost of new OE plastic is quite scary :x

Thanks for the post mentioning using used parts to get it back to fair condition - my insurer mentioned the option of buy-back if written off - around 20% of settlement.
This is a high mileage low spec 996 so I won't be expecting a great offer but that means a buy-back would be around £2000. That makes for a cheap 911! (Trying to look for positives...).

I've got an image of the damage taken just after it happened but it's not the best and doesn't really show the difference in gap between wing and bonnet or the crack in The headlight but I'll try posting it here.

In general, a total loss (write-off) starts to look possible when repairs are around 50-60% of the Insurance company estimate of the car's value. If its insured for agreed value that figure will not be based on their estimate of the car's (market) value, but the agreed valuation.

I understand it to mean that if you want to keep the write-off vehicle, they will make a deduction of 20% off their wtite off value that they will give you. So that means if they offer £12k as a write off and you elect to keep the scrapped car, they will only pay 80% of their offer = £9,600 and then you can meet your own repair costs (if thats what you want) or dispose of the vehicle yourself.

I haven't got an agreed value policy so will be open to whatever guide the other parties Insurance company care to use.

Realistically, the value due to mileage (155,000!!) will probably be around 8-10K. It's currently sitting on new suspension, top mounts, coffin arms etc and just had new discs, pads and brake lines all round. Probably another £5000 on top of that last year too but I'm not sure if that will have any bearing on the value in this situation.
When I spoke to my insurer he (strangely I thought) explained using the terms I used in my earlier post but the likelihood is would happen as you've explained it - an offer made then 20% subtracted if I keep the car.

Good news is that the at-fault drivers' insurer rang me to say they've accepted full liability and have offered a hire car - my own insurer already offered the hire car and it's just been delivered. My insurer also asked me to politely decline any offers from the other parties insurer.

This is all guesswork but just the parts that are obviously damaged and need repairing seem to total over £4000 using the link kindly posted above (thanks!). That's without brackets and stuff that will need sorting. Then there's paintwork. And, after looking at hire car paperwork they're estimating the term at 30-90 days at £87 a day. £2600 - £7800 in addition to the £4000+ and paint and fitting etc.Eek!!

What's a catD (or whatever the new equivalent cat is these days), 155,000 mile 996.2 C2 going to be worth? Any guess would be welcome. Oh, it's a Tiptronic too is you need to knock 50% off the guess :D

I am guessing that they won't factor in all the money spent and new bits - arguing that it's a high mileage car that needed bits replacing to keep it roadworthy and so those works were par for the car. Your estimate for write-off value at the lower end appears to be a gut ball-park figure - but it could be less.

Given the costs of parts, labour, hire car, I'd guess the third party insurer will want to settle quickly to avoid prolonging their costs. From the figures quoted, a write-off offer seems highly probable.

Estimating up to £8k for hire car costs, when will this madness end?

MC

cheshire911 said:
Legzr1 said:
cheshire911 said:
Legzr1 said:

I am guessing that they won't factor in all the money spent and new bits - arguing that it's a high mileage car that needed bits replacing to keep it roadworthy and so those works were par for the car. Your estimate for write-off value at the lower end appears to be a gut ball-park figure - but it could be less.

Given the costs of parts, labour, hire car, I'd guess the third party insurer will want to settle quickly to avoid prolonging their costs. From the figures quoted, a write-off offer seems highly probable.

Yes, that makes sense thanks.

I had a quick look at autotrader for 996s with 100,000+ miles to get an idea of asking prices and give a rough value and there's a couple with even more miles starting at over £8000 (I think the cheapest available was £8300 with another at £8500) hence my lower value at £8000 but I understand what you're saying and I'm prepared for the worst.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:27 am Post subject:
Estimating up to £8k for hire car costs, when will this madness end?

MC

Madness is a good word - three months hire car charges equalling the value of the car!!

They asked what car I wanted and I simply said 'a diesel automatic - it's only for daily grind through traffic". They turned up with a 19 plate Merc A180D. There were other options costing £139 a day.

The sad thing is we all pay for it through premiums.

Anyway, fingers crossed that this is sorted quickly - I'll update the thread if anyone's interested.

Thanks again.

A few things spring to mind.

1. Although your car is high mileage, it does look to be in very good condition, this may be taken into account on any inspection.

2. Insurers don't pay retail prices for repairs and car hire, they may be able to repair for rather less.

3. Insurance is competitive, the 3rd party insurer is often keen to take on the repair to minimise their costs. As I see it, the advantage of using your insurer is that you have a contract with them if anything doesn't go to plan.

Quick update as promised.

The wheels turn slowly when Insurance assessors are involved but finally getting close to the end.

This is just about spot on.

No matter which way I put it, the assessor (working for my Insurance company but arguing paying as little as possible as he needs to justify it the 3rd parties insurers when they seek reimbursement - fair enough I suppose) countered every item I mentioned replacing with the 'fact' it was either required for maintenance or, at best, would maintain value rather than increase it. After a few weeks and a number of lengthy calls I'm ready to just put this behind me and move on. The offer(s) being made are fair, all things considered.

Any thoughts anyone?

Rough estimates of offers on the table (with firm offers to be made on Monday).

A. Car written off and retained by insurer to dispose of - offer approx. £9400.

B. Car written off and retained by me - offer approx £9300 minus £2400 for salvage giving me the damaged car + approx £7000.

C. Bit of a curve ball this one but I read recently of an agent working for Copart who bid on and buy damaged cars direct from owners. I had some time to waste while waiting to see where this would end up so filled in the online form with accurate data and supplied a few images of all the damage. Within an hour I had a firm, guaranteed offer from Copart with pickup by 3PM next day and cash transferred as you wait. I was expecting high hundreds, possibly a little more, maybe even approaching what it would be costing me to keep, around £2000.

The offer?

Three times that!!

Can anyone see a problem with this plan? Accept the offer of car back + approx. £7000 then accept offer from Copart netting me £13,000.

I had thought about keeping the car and work on it as needed or as I found time but, even back to excellent condition, it's still a base C2 tiptronic with 155,000 miles...

Anyway, after getting bored I went to see a 997.1 T and put a deposit down...

Any advice most welcome.

The two options I'm likely to take are just take the £9400 and run or keep the car and instantly sell on to Copart - a bit more hassle but another £3500 could be well used on the Turbo.

The Copart deal seems like the best plan by a mile.

My one thought would be do they expect to buy it with the damage unrecorded?

rdodger said:
The Copart deal seems like the best plan by a mile.

My one thought would be do they expect to buy it with the damage unrecorded?

That's my worry too.

I've rang them to confirm and waiting on the answer.

Thanks for the reply :thumb:

Thought it best to update this with a final post.

After weeks of emails and calls the car was written off Cat S because of a 'small mark to a suspension component'.
Sounds a little strange when the low speed impact was nowhere near any suspension part and a month before the accident the car had new coffin arms, top mounts and various other parts. I even drove the car to the recovery depot some 10 miles because the drooping front PU was catching on the low-loader and it drove perfectly.

No matter, I was fed up by then, Copart had no interest in a Cat N and laughed when I said it was actually a Cat S so away it went.....

...to end up on Coparts auction site and was bid up to £6100 before I lost interest.

If you know anyone why bought a red 996 Carrera reg: MX03YBJ with 157,700 + miles let them know I have a huge file of work dating back years with around £7000 spent in the last 12 months. Got all the service manuals and books in the leather binder too.

Ah,well, errrr....

Impressive piece of kit those 997Ts - as a recent super bike rider I was expecting it to be a bit, you know, 'yes, it's quick but it's no S1000 or ZX10".

And it's not but the way it can overtake theee or four dawdling vehicles in one squirt in 2nd or 3rd, on a short straight down the average B-road (where I enjoy driving/riding) gives a very similar feeling.

Significant deposit paid and hoping to pick up in a week or so.

I've already joined the group buy for a DSC V1 - I'm hoping that will handle the bumps better.

I'll miss the C2.
Old, tired with ruined paintwork and a never ending appetite for worn out parts but it's given me the Porsche bug - and that noise, flat in second with sports exhaust - I know it's something I'll never get from a 997T.

When funds recover, who knows - who says you can't have 2 Porsche's?

My daughter is already looking at Caymens and hasn't even taken her driving test yet!!

Good to hear your going with it and fair play to your daughter :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back