Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Want to improve your handling, read this!

hermes said:
The bonnet is ok I think, but the crash structure behind the bumper is deformed, so I think it's not going to be a small repair.....

On the upside, my previous encounter almost killed me, so apart from the inconvenience and the inevitable hike in my premiums again I shouldn't complain.

Good way to look at it , no one hurt :thumb:

NLW73 said:
RS mounts are £125 plus VAT plus postage from Type 911

Do you need a fitting kit too? New bolts and washers?

To answer my own question, the kit includes the lot and is 125+ VAT and delivery. :)

deMort said:
Robertb said:
NLW73 said:

That's good... for a pair? I did check the website but pretty incomprehensible.

@DeMort- how do you know when the mounts are knackered- time based, or can you tell by looking at them?

Sorry .. i lost track of this thread ..

You can see by looking , there should be a gap in the middle of the mount when looking from underneath .. about 4-5 mm ... it's the rubber part that should be raised from the base .

You will also have an indication if the exhaust tail pipes are sitting a bit low from the bumper .

Worst case , they are oil filled and if it bursts then plenty of jet black oil will run down .. this normally happens on removal or refit though and not often when used on the road .

991 and they use a magnetic oil in these mounts , the car can stiffen the mounts when it needs to .. fascinating stuff and overcomes the limitations of just rubber .

They still go wrong though .. sigh .

996 and it's pretty common to see them dropped .. 997 and it's more of a case of just starting to see them dropped .

Cheers DeMort, sorry I'd lost track of the thread too!

keendean said:
NLW73 said:

Do you need a fitting kit too? New bolts and washers?

To answer my own question, the kit includes the lot and is 125+ VAT and delivery. :)

it comes as a kit with the extended bolts etc.

I paid £125 cash as went to collect so no vat and postage.

Looks like I need these doing too. One set of pipes lower and the gap greater than suggested. Will have to take a look underneath. The car is quite unsteady over 110 mph unless the road surface is perfect.

Attachments

• b32cb7de_b6e4_4620_9c38_f31f1c922c4f_103.jpeg
    b32cb7de_b6e4_4620_9c38_f31f1c922c4f_103.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,461
Returning to topic, just back from 320 miles with the RSS mounts. NVH much improved over the Function First mounts in my view.

Still got something in the cabin buzzing at 4500rpm which is driving me potty though!

I finally fitted the £125 design 911 ones. Nice easy job. While both the exhausts are the same height now they seem lower overall. The old mount were in a right state!! :eek:

Just to add another vote for the RSS items.
No noticeable / unpleasant increase in NVH but w massive improvement in cornering stability and gear shift quality (Manual)

Oh and they look as sexy as hell when I look in the engine bay.

Before / after/ old mount.

Attachments

• img_2774_2_200.jpg
    img_2774_2_200.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 1,515
  • img_2776_1_2_120.jpg
    img_2776_1_2_120.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 1,515
  • img_2773_2_934.jpg
    img_2773_2_934.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 1,515
Hi

I know these are not 997's but I have RS mounts in my 993 and they are great. No real NVH to speak of, and I have modified standard mounts (bottom void filled with 65 hardness polyurethane) in my 986 and the NVH is actually unacceptable at idle. The vibrations permeate right through the car even to the steering. And that is with a standard front mount.

Going too hard, especially if you do all 3 mounts in a road car is a bad idea. Apparently it can activate the knock sensors on the engine also.

Berni

Thefinn said:
NLW73 said:

Anyone tried OPC they are normally cheaper than 911d?

I can see copies of 993/964 RS engine mounts for £125 + VAT

The genuine 993/964 RS engine mounts are £500 + VAT on the same website?

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de...ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/2400

Anyone know where to find genuine Porsche ones for less than £600?

Also to the more mechanically minded is a geo not recommended straight after replacing engine mounts?

Like many on this thread I fitted the RSS semi solid mounts, initially there was some extra noise and vibration, can't say that I noticed any harshness.

As others have stated the RSS mounts settle down and all N+V all but disappeared, everything felt tighter - the feel of the engine - the way the power was put down, it gives the car, imo, the GT feel which is what I wanted.

Today I picked up mine from my OPC after having belt and tensioners replaced and fitting the orange function first transmission mounts. The technician initially recommend that as I was replacing the engine mounts with semi solid ones then I should replace the OEM transmission mount with a new mount as this was now the weakest link in the setup, engine nice and tight on its mounts but the gearbox mount will take all the extra strain and after so many years of use it won't last too long.

First day of driving and my take on the NVH after RSS semi solid engine and FF transmission mounts:

Noise: No real noticeable increase in noise, I have Gundo hacked mufflers so it's not quiet.

At idle, windows closed, ac & stereo off; measured dB was at 66.4, which equates to a quiet street noise;
At a steady 70ish mph, 5th gear 3000 rpm, dB was at 74.7, which equates to a normal conversation level, I've attached the dB meter snap shot. Can't say that it would be difficult to hold a normal conversation and the music wasn't really drowned out by any noise increase.

Vibration: A definite increase.

At idle you can feel the rumble in the seat, there was no rattling inside of the car, but I can say that the rattling noise that I used to get from the passenger seat has disappeared, go figure :?

At 70 mph there is also an increase, this is due to the rpm, from 2800-3200rpm is where you can feel it most, is it too much? - not for me, it makes the car feel like a sports car, I know Porsche tried to reduce extra NVH but I like it, as I said, it is akin to a GT, it's how you would expect a GT car to feel. The noise would probably bother me if I had to do a long run of say 500 miles plus - but I think that is true of any performance car to be honest,

Harshness:
Well, for me it's not harsh, I've driven much harsher cars, but the car now feels more visceral, raw and the way it accelerates is day and night.

With the tip box there was always a lag in the way it would change up, even while driving it in manual mode and using the flappy paddles, this is all but eliminated. The clunk I used to get sometimes changing down has also gone.

Now if you bought your P car to be a sports cruiser then I would stay away from doing the semi solid engine mounts and the transmission mount inserts. With semi solid engine mounts and a new OEM transmission mount my car would have had no induced NVH.

I will update to see if the transmission mount settles at all, as I got the softest mount.

Attachments

• 2ee6dcd3_ad30_4813_9144_7f002636b5ad_469.png
    2ee6dcd3_ad30_4813_9144_7f002636b5ad_469.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 2,359
  • 1b157816_6623_4bfe_a9e4_b8f4e9733646_328.png
    1b157816_6623_4bfe_a9e4_b8f4e9733646_328.png
    418 KB · Views: 2,359
nikos525 said:
The technician initially recommend that as I was replacing the engine mounts with semi solid ones then I should replace the OEM transmission mount with a new mount as this was now the weakest link in the setup, engine nice and tight on its mounts but the gearbox mount will take all the extra strain and after so many years of use it won't last too long.
This a fair point.

Also IMI A is right with pricing. Type911 lists it as an aftermarket RS mount for £125+vat.
From memory, I paid around £500- £600 on the RS mounts for another car last year.
Just wondering if the softer offerings from Rennline, Planet-9 or RSS would give the same result about for half the price.

I've just fitted the £125 type911 RS mounts and went for a drive yesterday for the 1st time.
There's definitely some vibration through the steering wheel and cabin that wasn't there before. When the car is under load from about 1700-2300RPM. I have to say as above it makes the car feel more sporty but will see how I get on with it. The handling seems much tighter. The old mounts were shot and the car was quite unsteady at higher speeds over poor roads and bumps. I haven't given it a proper hard drive as it was pouring here yesterday. More to follow. Also having the gundo hack I can't detect any more noise.

I am wondering if I should replace the transmission mount now though :?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back