Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic noise on kick down

Hovis

Monza
997.1 3.6 targa 4
Run back from working away and noticed that at in to the journey on the MW at speed limitspeeds if I made the car kicked down 5 to 3 I heard a high pitch metallic type rattle noise from the rear passenger side.

It was t present if I dropped down on the button gear select and not there on same kick down at lower speeds.

Don't have a recording and not heard it before.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Im afraid im going with a total guess here .. there is nothing obvious but ill work through what i feel ..

Btw a sound clip would help :)

If the noise was coming from the gearbox then i would expect you would have a serious problem .. they don't make noises basically so limp home mode .. very poor gear change etc so i'm ruling that out .

Again if engine related then pretty much the same .. a metal noise is pretty terminal lets face it .

My guess .. on kick down it drops 2 gears .. much higher revs and more vibration .. its different from a switch flick dropping it a single gear ..

Also you said n/s/r .. neither engine nor gearbox are there but the exhaust is .

They have metal brace bars on the exhaust .. these are known to break away and my guess is its this that is causing the noise .

Image below of what im talking about .

This is not the standard symptoms for this fault but it's the best i can come up with .

It could also be a baffle in the exhaust which is cracked .. either way i feel its exhaust related .

EDIT on the image i bent the bar away from the exhaust for the picture .. normally they are closer.

Attachments

• pa270025_752.jpg
    pa270025_752.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 934
As ever thanks for your rapid response.

Didn't seems to have any performance issues and is only at higher speed didn't seem to have at at lower speeds.

It wasnt an intense noise or continual and did sound a like vibration. Butbwas high pitch.

Exhaust is all original so could well be that. Heat shield on the drivers side is loose and had it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back