Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken Sump Baffles!

ballcock

Paul Ricard
I've done a quick search but haven't come up with any info on this.

I'm getting an oil change done, and decided to get the sump plate dropped as it was put in new by a previous owner, and they did a terrible job, with lots of excess sealer showing.

Anyway, my mechanic has found the sump baffles in a sorry state, broken in a number of places. I'm scratching my head wondering what could possibly break them like this? There's no evidence of baffle in the strainer or filter, so it could possibly have been broken when the sump plate was out and being replaced. Or perhaps it broke up when the previous plate needed to be replaced for what ever reason.

Has anyone else had broken baffles, or any ideas how this might have happened?

Never seen it or even heard of it .. my guess would be an external influence .

Someone broke it .

You do realise you have a hotline for any problems or things you want to discuss :D

Iain as always thank you so much, and yes I do realise .. but I'm in New Jersey at the moment and not getting a huge amount of information while the car is being worked on
St least the indie tells me the oil is in very good condition with nothing nasty in the filter.

I'll shoot a few pics to you later Iain.

Barney,

Is it possible that a damaged sump was installed unbeknownst to the previous owner? Any chance of a photo?

Sending you PM on another item...

Let's us know if you discover the cause.

Maybe take the opportunity to replace with an X51 sump & baffle, which is superior in many ways.

Too much sealant can be detrimental to the engine as if it start floating around the engine before it gets caught in the filter it can block the oilways for the crank bearings and other parts. Best to get it cleaned up and when refitted use sealant sparingly.

I would guess the sump got damaged, maybe someone jacked the car up on it, if it had to be replaced but unsure why the internals baffles would be broken unless they fitted it incorrectly in the first place or they didn't replace them and only the sump plate?

Thanks all for the replies. I'll certainly keep you updated if I get any answers from my mechanic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back