Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 C2 manual for sale RS specs

911livin

I think I want to sell my 993 and get a 70s car..

Been spending a lot of time driving a 911e and I decided I want to sell my 993 and get a 70s car

What are people thoughts?

I see where you're coming from. They are great - I test drove a '72 T and had the biggest grin on my face the whole time. Wouldn't work for me personally as the 993 is my only car, and I don't have a garage. Think it would be a bit too much to expect that old a car to be as practical as the 993.

Would you be prepared to spend plenty of £££ on a restoration or would you buy something that has already been pampered?

911livin, I can appreciate that there is something special about 70`s Porsches compared to the 993, while the 993 impressed me greatly the first time I drove one it took a while to get over the increase in it`s much wider power band and of course the extra power, improved handling and comfort and discover what it was that was missing compared to my 911SC... And it was that I could not see the wing tops from my seat behind the wheel. Yeah that seems a tad like I was looking for some sort of issue, but I was not..!

When I jumped back into my then 10 year old SC I felt more at home, which is no surprise for sure given I had owned and driven two non-sport SC`s for a number of years, however, for some folk who wish to experience more involvement when driving at something less than licence shredding speeds, the older 911`s DEMAND respect and can provide an increased sensory appeal such as the feel through the steering as you get close to the limit of rear wheel adhesion which can act as a pre warning though lift off on the apex at your peril.

Maintenance in practical terms has potential to be far less demanding and very much so for the would be home mechanic given the much simpler design of engine, suspension, and ancillaries, however one has to be aware of CORROSION and possible patchwork repairs, given in the 80`s from a poor memory, one could not replace the floor as a whole but only as part panels.. ? I have posted corrosion pics elsewhere.

I have no knowledge of, but wonder if modern and evolving fuels might be compatible with 70`s vehicles, and for how long, thinking metal fuel tanks, alloy carbs, and metal fuel lines , but given all the declarations of environmental emergency it does seem that vehicles fuelled by petrol may all have issues in time....?

I have spent £££ making my 993 look fab and drive fantastic, feels like a new car since the suspension upgrade. Its amazing car no doubt but I just love the feel and the simplicity of a older one..

I have my eye on something, but I need to sell mine to get it etc

Re: I think I want to sell my 993 and get a 70s car..

911livin said:
Been spending a lot of time driving a 911e and I decided I want to sell my 993 and get a 70s car

What are people thoughts?

My thoughts - 3 things:
1. Sounds like you've already made your mind up
2. You only live once
3. You're a long time dead
4. It's still a Porsche, and still a 911
5. It's better to regret something you've done than something you didn't do.

....oh - that's 5 things. You get the gist... :grin:

I've got to say though, when at Llandudno last week with nearly 900 Porsche on the prom, I found myself just looking at the older stuff - almost convinced myself I needed a backdate project as a compromise.
I know that the new 911's are better in every way, but at the same time they are just not as good. Does that make sense?

Go for it!

You should probably swap out that nasty leather dash for a nice leatherette one before you sell it! ;-)

I guess there will be many a Porsche enthusiast who can not afford a Singer/Williams so you and I are not alone in that 911livin, (-:

I only had the pleasure of driving the then new 993 for one day, though all be it on my favourite local roads, thus was fortunate to be able to make reasonable comparisons between it and my SC.. There can be little doubt that the 993 was a huge leap forward in terms of engineering and general performance in every area and it seemed to match the ever evolving expectations that the market has come to expect with every new generation of everything, and in so doing the 993 when compared to my SC experiences was a tad more comfortable and dare I say it seemed less demanding of it`s pilot at less than ballistic road speeds, which logically would make it safer in use also...? How could anyone be critical of a new model that ticked all those boxes...? I guess there will always be those fundamentalists to be found holding on tight to their "beliefs".. (-: Of course well educated Porsche enthusiasts would never be likely to be blinded by outmoded beliefs... would they..? Identifying 964`s 993`s 996`s 997`s etc.etc.etc. as 911`s seems to hint at something close to intolerance if not mere resistance to change.. (-: Not that marketing would ever seek to use those fundamentalist tendencies... would they...? (-:

I can well understand that at a certain time in life a younger man might well seek a change, and a change of machine can be much less costly than a divorce, a mistress in the garage can at times be more exciting than a human one and perhaps less demanding too, if you are careful enough to pick just the right one for YOU...(-:

In the search for perhaps a little more involvement in the driving experience, something a little less insular at slightly lower road speeds is something that I can tune into very easily given I went back to m/cycling for enjoyment of quiet countryside roads for a few years, and from that to a very basic sports car of vintage design for circa 16 years..and perhaps on the verge of looking for something a bit less RAW these days, even had thoughts of a 964 or perhaps a 993...(-: Yeah, so desires can go full circle and more than once ... if you live long enough... (-:

That you have been fortunate enough to sample driving a real 911 you at least have a good idea of what you might be getting into, though corrosion can be a real heartbreak if the beauty before your eyes is in time found to be more down to plastic surgery and make-up than some old American movie star... :?:

I've just sold my 993 C2 coupe and bought a '68 912.

For the same reasons.

Fun times.

I can see what you mean.

The newer 911s don't do a lot for me. Too big, they seem to have lost the basic concept of a small, agile but fairly powerful sports car.

As much as I like the 993 there's not a lot of tinkering I can do whereas with the IB I had previously I could at least remove all the plugs easily and clean or change them. And it had a different type of driving feel. If the Targa roof had been a bit quieter I think I would still have it now; and it was a wide-body Supersport...

You'll probably need to scratch the itch sooner or later. I guess, as a previous posters said, corrosion is one of the biggest factors in purchasing an older 911.

So, either watch hours and hours of older Porsches on YouTube or go and buy one!

pre 73

I understand your need but be very careful. I have seen a so called rust free car..........that has had £14000 of new panels fitted. That didn't include the labour to fit them or the paint! But it is absolutely gorgeous now.

Im having some RS glass fitted to my 993 in nxt few weeks so as soon as its done Ill get nice pics and post up in classified on here.

I grew up with the old 911 and my dad is geek on what to look for etc, I seen 2 nice cars but need to sell my 993 before I can get into it all

911livin said:
Im having some RS glass fitted to my 993 in nxt few weeks so as soon as its done Ill get nice pics and post up in classified on here.
You've already improved your car in so many areas, seats, wheels, aero, suspension, etc. you should now enjoy it!

That said, AndyS makes very valid points...:D good luck!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back