Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Discs - outer rim surface rust

DAVIDGT996

Silverstone
The outer rim's on my brake discs have slight surface rust appearing on them. The fronts seem to be worse than the backs.

The disc surfaces look fine and the car allegedly had new discs & pads all round last year before I bought it. The pads do look they are brand new.

How long do these discs generally last before they start going rusty? is it worth spraying them up as there is still life in the discs or just replace them?

A few quick stops will clean them up. Nothing to worry about.

pzero said:
A few quick stops will clean them up. Nothing to worry about.
not the braking surface - the outer rim bit. just looks ugly.

Brake Discsfront - outer rim surface rust

front disc

Attachments

• 20190525_161150_1~2_1_287.jpg
    20190525_161150_1~2_1_287.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,570
The central part of the disc - it's called the bell. I paint mine black with Hammerite.

pzFUAN2.jpg

ah - yes the bell end of course.

I shall hammerite them up then- maybe stick with silver as the car is black.

Just be careful if you're going to drive it hard. I painted the non contact surfaces on my mx5, a few hard stops (ok, the discs went blue) and the paint melted and flung all over my calipers!

:eek: i'd be more concerned about why they've got hot enough to turn them blue. That's up round 350c!!

Zinc primer is a reasonable representation of the traditional matt grey Porsche finish on these. Once you have cleaned up the surface it is easy to spray on and maintain.

........but looks crap.

I was recommended Rustoleum paint by a local motor factors. I applied it with a brush and it went on well. Seems very tough, not sure if it's heat resistant but I've not had any issues in normal road driving.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back