Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.2 Carrera Video

Jackzi

Silverstone
Hi everyone,

I'm usually over in the 996 section, but a while ago I was lucky to have a go with some lovely aircooled cars, including a 9,900 mile supersport cab. I made a film about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28wjrayxJzk

Hope you like it :)

Thanks for the link to the enjoyable vid... I never saw the 924 as a 911 replacement, the 944 perhaps slightly more so, though thought the 928 to be a worthy 911 successor given water cooling was about to be the only show in town with the inception of lean burn engines to cut down on emissions.

I ran a couple of SC`s over a number of years and found them to be ultra reliable "turn key" vehicles compared to other sporting cars I have had CARnal knowledge of... the Motronic kit simplified maintenance but maintenance of the SC was no big deal for anyone with reasonable mechanical understanding and with the Automotive Electric/Electronic Systems bible printed by Bosch. But then that was back in the 80`s before the interweb, today finding technical information seems somewhat simpler...?

As for the Carrera engine being 80% different from the SC.... hmm? Not sure about that perhaps had you been talking of the 964 or the later 993...? Though I guess the BIG difference in both of those compared to the Carrera was the redesign of the suspension which supposedly (?) reduced the tendency to exit corners tail first if one lifted off the throttle mid corner... oops!!

Again thanks for the link, nice camera work, though I missed the sound from the drivers perspective, I could never get enough of that... :)

Glad you enjoyed the film :)

I was surprised about the 80% point when I first read it in a German book I have about the history of the 911. And I did some research and found more info that seemed to confirm that. The adding of Motronic was a big difference I suppose.

In terms of the sound, it's quite hard to capture it in the aircooled cars. I usually put a mic in the intake area or elsewhere in the engine bay, but on aircooled cars it doesn't sound good. So I have to find sneaky places to put the mics where they pic up sound the best in the cabin and outside. Not an easy job I'm afraid.

Jackzi, Thanks for taking the time to reply. As for the 80% statement, I like you was surprised, though given that the design of the following 964 was as I remember defined by Porsche advertising around the time (?) as being circa 80% different from the preceding 911 generation, I just thought there may have been a possible mix up in stats... Dunno for sure.. and not inclined to argue the point.. though happy to be proven incorrect..(-:

I think that Motronic was a GIANT leap forward as was the introduction of DIGITAL electronic systems in every aspect of industry. In Porsche terms it removed the likely failings of old style electronic and mechanical systems with their inherent issues and also allowed for fault finding by those with minimal understanding of how any or every system worked, which was previously a necessity to understand how and why parts of any system may fail... Yup a very different skill-set emerged as fast becoming a priority at the time..?

It seems that you well understand the difficulties of capturing sound accurately.... I do not. However much of what makes an air-cooled Porsche differ from it`s flat six water cooled brethren is that sound, and it would seem trying to capture it as accurately as possible may be key in terms of viewers of a film who know well that sound and perhaps more importantly, that which it can invoke within their psyche... (-: Sure drive by sound has it`s place when trying to impress "the man in the street" and there is perceptively some value in that, though the person who has paid out their cash for the 911 or may be tempted to do so might prefer to hear the reality or at least close to that which the air cooled 911 sounds like when they are driving it.

For sure when you seek to amplify the sound by placing a mike where a drivers ear may never be in normal driving, it seems logical (?) that you may be missing other important aspects of the drivers audio experience..? I have used the term "the wail in the tail" to describe my all important sensory perceptions when driving my old 911 SC way back when... (-:

I note that you typed of induction as an important sound source... which it certainly is, the chortle of the twin Webers on an old Lotus Twin Cam is music to the ears for old duffers like me, and I suspect such sounds create very important signatures in the minds of many..?

Sure legislation has determined that modern vehicles must comply with very specific noise pollution requirements... and in that regard " noise enthusiasts" modify their machinery to by-pass or cut out the kit that manufacturers were perhaps to some extent forced to design and fit....switchable by-pass... or "For track use only." (-: Just ask the water cooled guys how much time effort and money they are prepared to spend to make more noise... (-: Likewise how many Harley Davidson`s do you think have their exhaust systems un-modified by their owners and for what purpose.. (-:

So there you go Jackzi, I did enjoy your film and thanks for posting it. I would suggest as you can guess that noise/sound is a very important factor in conveying an accurate message through film..? Perhaps using two high quality mikes positioned like ears, each side of a drivers head while looking at the road ahead, and while looking left and right pulling out at a junction with the all important acceleration and gear change sounds, might just pick up something more realistic from a drivers or would be drivers perspective...?

Yeah.. oh so easy to appear critical when not expected to perform the same task...

As ever just thinking in type.. :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back