Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

10 Year Minor Service...

I had to chime in when I read "it will have to get a little worse to replace under warranty"

I raged when OPC said the same thing to me when I asked them to look at the front diff seals which were showing signs of significant misting. They also offered to do it at my cost. There was also a growing list of maintenance that was not covered under warranty including the front cross over pipes for which they were happy to quote for. The fixed price for a major service wasn't as 'fixed' as it first appeared with additional £500+ for plugs, other checks and brake fluid etc.

I concluded from that point on that the OPC + warranty route was not for me. I can afford it but struggled to see the value in the warranty when the OPC didn't seem keen to facilitate warranty work (which I understand isn't as profitable for them) and the warranty rules would be picky, limited and overly restrictive. It was also a pain to remove the front radiator grilles, DSC module and forego the installation of PS4S tyres for the 111 check.

Thanks for your replies MattyR & Monkeynutz, the bottom line is the car is nearly 10, its not a new car so I expect a few things need to be done, the list that I am going to post makes out that the car is an old banger but I'm pretty sure that its not, runs like a dream and I have never needed to top the oil up once in my 2 years of ownership.
Personally its the two OPC's that I have visited since ownership, trying to take me for a ride comes to mind :eek:

I have just added up the recommended work that they have suggested £9370.04, yep probably just around a third of what the car is worth :eek:
I agree some works will need doing and it will be done, but when they come out with rear discs 40% worn, replace ! rear light cluster cracked replace ! :dont know:

They really are taking the biscuit in my opinion :eek:

Anyway I'll give that Door 2 Door Tyres a bell, now that I don't mind as I knew the fronts were getting a bit thin at 4.5mm of trad remaining so thanks for that :)

As for the warranty I was going to say that I've done pretty well out of it, but thinking about it now I guess that they want their money back :floor:

Swamps :)

9k of work, Well it is getting on a bit :floor:

Attachments

• 2_208.png
    2_208.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,549
  • 1_146.png
    1_146.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,549
:eek:

Those prices!

Exhaust isn't even a replacement! I saw an ad on FB this evening from a reputable indie/dealer offering a full PSE system fitted for less than that!

Monkeynutz said:
:eek:

Those prices!

Exhaust isn't even a replacement! I saw an ad on FB this evening from a reputable indie/dealer offering a full PSE system fitted for less than that!

Yep, the tips and a few brackets & gaskets :eh!:

Got my last rear light for £495 inc vat and shipping from OPC Bolton. Previous one was a few pounds dearer.

£9k!!!!! You have to wonder if they have a laugh before sending to you.

I had a similar experience with my 10 year service on 997.2 at Brooklands. Minor service was about £750, but they then wanted another £3.5k for heat shields (which I got done at 9e for half the price) front shocks (nothing really wrong with them) and perished bump stops (perished yes, but not really a problem)
They then seemed quite shocked when I told them I was getting none of it done.

I think i said what i think on my email so i'll leave it at that :)

If you can't get N1 tyres then N2 - N4 are fine as long as they are the same on each axle .. in other words , N1 rear and N2 fronts is fine .. that's not a warranty fail .. the check is more about are they N rated .

Never have different N ratings on the same axle though ... or different makes for that matter .

You also can't replace a tyre on one side if there is more than 3mm of difference in the tread depth side to side .

There is actually limited work that really needs doing and i think i covered it but if your unsure about anything then please ask :)

I assume you have a warranty which is why you use an OPC for servicing, but seriously, anything not covered by the warranty, find a good Indy, much better than an OPC! (sorry Demort!)

if you have 10 year old tyres, or tyres that are cracking, please get new ones, will spoil the car completely.... 911's are so sensitive to good tyres.

Magic919 said:
Got my last rear light for £495 inc vat and shipping from OPC Bolton. Previous one was a few pounds dearer.

I think that the one that was replaced in 2017 under warranty was around the £500 mark so assume that the rest is for fitting :dont know:

boardingnath997 said:
£9k!!!!! You have to wonder if they have a laugh before sending to you.

My thoughts were that they must throw a few darts at a jobs list and then say "that will do" :floor:

deMort said:
I think i said what i think on my email so i'll leave it at that :)

If you can't get N1 tyres then N2 - N4 are fine as long as they are the same on each axle .. in other words , N1 rear and N2 fronts is fine .. that's not a warranty fail .. the check is more about are they N rated .

Never have different N ratings on the same axle though ... or different makes for that matter .

You also can't replace a tyre on one side if there is more than 3mm of difference in the tread depth side to side .

There is actually limited work that really needs doing and i think i covered it but if your unsure about anything then please ask :)

That all makes sense deMort, I shall be changing them in pairs and will probably go for the Michelin n4's as what I recall a lot of members on the forum have recommended them :thumb:

resigner said:
I assume you have a warranty which is why you use an OPC for servicing, but seriously, anything not covered by the warranty, find a good Indy, much better than an OPC! (sorry Demort!)

if you have 10 year old tyres, or tyres that are cracking, please get new ones, will spoil the car completely.... 911's are so sensitive to good tyres.

My warranty expires in a few days, I did want to keep up all the Porsche history as I was considering extending that warranty, but obviously they would want me to have all the above jobs done first to cover any likelihood of me claiming in the future.
I will be getting these jobs done, first tyres then front disc's & pads then onto the exhaust. I shall be looking for an Indi and I'm quite lucky as I have a few nearby.
A friend of my sons who I do get on with works in one in Uxbridge I believe so I'll give him a bell and ask for his views.
I have no plans to sell the car as of yet but I just wanted the option of taking a warranty out at a later date just in case I do, As mentioned on another post cars sell better with a Porsche warranty.

If the work is done using Porsche parts then any further inspection will find nothing wrong .

The mechanic testing the car is only interested in it meets the rules for the test .

He won't be looking at history and he has no way of checking who fitted the parts .

He has 1.5 hrs to do the test and will be trying to make bonus on it .. doing the job faster in other words .. i know as i used to do it .

i don't remember any parts that will actually fail the test either .. tyres do need to be N rated though .

I still recommend the Porsche warranty as being the best out there .. my garage deals with the others .. a joke basically watching them trying to wriggle out of paying for anything .. examples.. i can give you loads .

That's just my opinion though .

resigner i'm afraid i missed the point you are making .. for a Porsche warranty which i recommend the items need to conform .. so i don't see your apology as needed ? confused there :)

i recommend an indy to carry out the work which is what you are also saying i think .

Doesn't matter though :)

Update,
the car was returned to me this morning, price quoted was less than what was charged, no idea why but no complaints from me.
They mentioned when they did the health check that the Rear suspension lower arm bushes were deteriorated, I though that this was on one side and they priced it at £1476 to change, and to be covered by the warranty, it turn out that they changed both sides so that was an added bonus for me :D
As for the other jobs that need doing I'll crack on with them over the next few months.
Thanks for all your help once again deMort, and others its been very much appreciated :thumbs: :thumbs:

Right I'm out for a wee beer or two so have a good weekend all :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back