Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice for Insurance for a track day

k11pol

Spa-Francorchamps
I want to go to Porsche silverstone to do a couple of the one to one tuition courses in a gts but unfortunately the only gts they have is in the new 991.2 twin turbo model so not going to get the benefit of learning about my naturally aspirated 3.8 gts.

That leaves me with the option of taking my own car which I was trying to avoid as it's over a thousand miles round trip and not sure how the Insurance works. So my question is , has anyone done this themselves or would you know the best route to get track day Insurance.

Personally I don't bother with track day Insurance.

Use your loaf. Stay away from trouble and drive within your limits. You'll save a fortune.

If you do use your own car, take the plates off :thumb:

Depends how risk averse you are. As above, I wouldn't bother if it's as you describe.
It's one to one tuition at PEC Silverstone. There are no other cars that you will need to worry about as it's not strictly speaking a track day. You will not be negotiating a circuit with a dozen or so other cars and drivers at the same time.
If you want t to use your own car read here;

https://www1.pec.porsche.com/silverstone/en/faq/

I did the Porsche Experience centre last week in my own car. I wanted to use mine as I too have the 3.8 NA car, albeit a 4S.

I enquired about track Insurance from several places and the quotes coming back for this one day event were frankly crazy. My general Insurance was coming up for renewal so I also tried to see if I could get one which included Trackdays as well - ( Mannings for example ) But it was 3 times the price of my current Insurance premium. Best individual one day track Insurance quote I got was £400. Many companies just did not respond.

In the end I took the plunge without Insurance as I figured they do this day in day out with new cars

You do have an instructor with you at all times. Throughout the day they build your confidence and speed so there is a nice progression to everything. Fundamentally its your own right foot and steering inputs controlling everything, so unless you turn all the traction control items off and drive like a plum I think you should be fine.

I loved it, its given me more confidence in the car and I now know what it feels like when close to the traction limits.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• cf0db6fd_7561_4a67_9676_a6f67d8cd873_194.jpeg
    cf0db6fd_7561_4a67_9676_a6f67d8cd873_194.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 898
Thanks for the info guys , I did think it might be ok with no Insurance as it's 1-1 tuition but wasn't sure if there would be other vehicles on the course at the same time.

Jungle - which course did you go on ? I'm thinking about the warm up and the precision course so stay there for a couple of nights.

k11pol said:
Thanks for the info guys , I did think it might be ok with no Insurance as it's 1-1 tuition but wasn't sure if there would be other vehicles on the course at the same time.

Jungle - which course did you go on ? I'm thinking about the warm up and the precision course so stay there for a couple of nights.

I paid for the half day warm up - The Porsche Experience centre comprises of 2 fast circuits, Launch / Braking straights, Ice Hill, Kick Plate and a low speed/ low friction circuit / bowl. Its worth noting the 2 fast main circuits use normal tarmac so simulate real world grip levels compared to a track which generally is more ' grippy', therefore its more real world to UK roads.. There are other cars on the circuit with you but you are well spaced out, so should not be any issue. I had appx 2.5 - 3 hours of seat time with a great instructor- we stayed on track for about 10-15mins longer than everyone else so I could improve on a few corners 😁👍. My Dashcam has some great footage 😎

I had a small but tasty lunch session where the instructor gets to know you and understands what you want from the day ( I think thats important as everyone will be different with different ability levels etc ) followed by a drink and toilet break half way through, and chat on progress , then at the end with afternoon tea and full summary from instructor. Am sessions have breakfast instead of afternoon tea.( obviously ! )

As I have never owned a 911 before and its been a long time since I have owned any rear wheel drive car, (although I have driven plenty on various track days over the years ) I wanted to know how the car reacted in different situations. I felt for the price point this gave me the opportunity to explore my cars limits and feel where they are in a safe-ish environment. ( there are a few corners with little run off ! ) I finished the day with the confidence I wanted and now love my car even more than I did when I first bought it. Having the weight over the rear wheels gives a huge amount of grip.

I obviously dont know your ability level or car history but I would think this would give you a great foundation for the full precision day. If you did an overnight stay.

The precision course takes this warm up course one step further adding time on the main Silverstone circuit which is opposite the PCE tracks. Obviously the precision dates are limited as the main track is in high use this time of year.

I am itching to go back, and would now defo do the precision day.

Enjoy !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back