Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2003 Carrera 2 3.6 - safe??

Sit said:
Magic919 said:
For whatever reason the Boxster doesn't suffer bore scoring as much as the Cayman. I'd avoid the latter, but would consider a Boxster.

Apparently this is to do with the limited number of 987 3.4's that were built in comparison to the Cayman, please don't quote me on that I am by no means knowledgeable on this but it was turned up whilst researching the probable risk.

I am quoting you :)

Speak to Hartech as that's not something I've seen them say. I thought they mentioned potential cooling differences. The Boxster S didn't get the 3.4 engine until some time after the Cayman launch.

The 987 3.4 and 996 3.6 both allegedly bore score. I'm not sure either is safer than the other, or how you'd find out. The 987 will have the later, bigger IMS bearing. I've never heard of a 987 d chunking. I though that was the preserve of the early 996 3.4 which is a different engine (albeit of a very similar configuration).

Sit said:
segart said:
Si, who did the rebuild and what imsb what fitted?
Cheers
Rick

Porscheworx in Hampstead, London and it simply lists it as Intermediate Shaft Unit - upgraded type £1012.00 on the invoice.

Si

Surely this will be the later (997?) shaft with the bigger bearing?

On 911s, the larger IMS bearing came from model year 2006.

This can be found based on the engine number.

For example, on a 997 3.6, numbers up to M96/05 69507475 have the old bearing (shared with the 996 3.6) and numbers M96/05 69507476 onwards has the larger, revised IMS.

Not sure how that works on 987s mind you, as the Cayman came with the 3.4, which was carried over to the Boxster for model year 2007.

You can drive yourself mental with all this. I trawled the internet for months trying to work out which had the least potential for disaster and eventually just gave up, bought something and crossed my fingers.

Risks related to each year/model
996.1 3.4 - d-chunk risk. Bore score and IMS failure less likely
996.2 3.6 - bore scoring and IMS failure. Tips more susceptible due to increased heat
997.1 3.6 - bore scoring almost guaranteed. IMS fine
Safest Boxster was the 2.5 safest cayman is the 2.7... but they're not 911s

That's my take and it's probably wrong. From what I could see the biggest issues with early cars were wear and tear on 18+ year old cars. The engine failures I've read about have been due to some random bearing or tensioner going or a long ignored failing AOS rather than IMS failure.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back