Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

4" Underdrive Pulley -----------

-- 997 --

Hi, i have a 4" underdrive pulley and belt, i had it a very long while and as ive changed my AOS, new plenum and changed X2 idler pulleys i remembered i had this 4" underdrive pulley sitting around!!,

My question is what benefits are there in fitting this pulley?, and are there any noticeble difference? Also am guessing i would need need to buy a new crank pulley bolt cos onced used they stretch when torqued up??

Cheers

J

Attachments

• 20190519_142413_211.jpg
    20190519_142413_211.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 20190519_142528_251.jpg
    20190519_142528_251.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 20190519_142521_347.jpg
    20190519_142521_347.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,451
Jimi , when mine was fitted to my gen1 they used the same bolt so you may be lucky or belt and braces and go buy a new bolt.

there are no added BHP from this mod but what the theory is it redirects unused energy from components that have been engineered to have a supply of energy more than they need this is redirected to the rear wheels so has the effect of giving you a few BHP more power .

But for me a far bigger win from fitting this mod was that it made the power steering slightly heavier as we know the steering on the 997 is very light, in fact a bit too light for a sports car and making it a bit heavier really added to the confidence and control when driving . This plus isn't really widely talked about as a gain from this mod but for me it was better than the bit of extra power :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Jimi , when mine was fitted to my gen1 they used the same bolt so you may be lucky or belt and braces and go buy a new bolt.

there are no added BHP from this mod but what the theory is it redirects unused energy from components that have been engineered to have a supply of energy more than they need this is redirected to the rear wheels so has the effect of giving you a few BHP more power .

But for me a far bigger win from fitting this mod was that it made the power steering slightly heavier as we know the steering on the 997 is very light, in fact a bit too light for a sports car and making it a bit heavier really added to the confidence and control when driving . This plus isn't really widely talked about as a gain from this mod but for me it was better than the bit of extra power :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for that phil, more clearer on understanding.. i agree for a performance car the steering ahould feel abit heavier!!

One other question, is the pulley connected to the damper? I.e. its 2 pieces that i have to take apart so that i fit the new 4" pulley to the damper then bolt up together? Cis me thinking that if theres no damper then ill be having major vibration running thru the car lol.

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Thanks for that phil, more clearer on understanding.. i agree for a performance car the steering ahould feel abit heavier!!

One other question, is the pulley connected to the damper? I.e. its 2 pieces that i have to take apart so that i fit the new 4" pulley to the damper then bolt up together? Cis me thinking that if theres no damper then ill be having major vibration running thru the car lol.

Cheers

J

Surprised you both feel that. One of the great characteristics of the 911 is steering feel and lightness due to it being rear engined. If you drive an early non assisted car, it is very light and sensitive at speed - and can feel everything perfectly. Assisted later cars have tried to replicate that, and while not perfect I think the helm is one of the best out there.
I guess if you are used to the likes of Audi / Merc / BMW is does feel light, but that's good isn't it? I use steering in lightest setting in my RS4, so the 997 has influenced my other cars, not vice versa. But good thing we are all different.

What is the difference in ratio of circumference? Can you tell the difference in steering feel between 3rd and 5th at 50mph? That would make much more difference I suspect.

MC

drmark said:
-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Cheers

J

Surprised you both feel that. One of the great characteristics of the 911 is steering feel and lightness due to it being rear engined. If you drive an early non assisted car, it is very light and sensitive at speed - and can feel everything perfectly. Assisted later cars have tried to replicate that, and while not perfect I think the helm is one of the best out there.
I guess if you are used to the likes of Audi / Merc / BMW is does feel light, but that's good isn't it? I use steering in lightest setting in my RS4, so the 997 has influenced my other cars, not vice versa. But good thing we are all different.

I must note its not significantly heavier just a little and IMO in a good way. but as you say different views and maybe different driving styles call for different steering feel .

-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Cheers

J

Jimi , I cant help mate as I didn't do the job DIY, and got an indy to fit it. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Cheers

J

Jimi , I cant help mate as I didn't do the job DIY, and got an indy to fit it. :thumb:

Aah ok phil, understood, ive added a picture of my pulley, hope someone on here could explain if the pulley is in 2 pieces etc, the main pulley and damper put together etc!!

Cheers phil, appreciated !! :thumb:

J

Attachments

• 20190519_164716_648.jpg
    20190519_164716_648.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,371

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard