Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering

Kp76

Trainee
I have play in my drivers fron wheel once thhe car is on axle stands, the passenger side is firm, rocking the wheel at the 3 and 9o'clock identifies the play, it doesn't seem to be the tie rod on the hub, has anyone changed the inner joint on the steering rack, is there special tools required?

The part that's worn is the inner rack arm .. the ball joint in it wears and it's often a case of speed bumps that tends to cause this .

You don't specify what car you have so i've listed a link to a gen 1 ..

No.6 here ..

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=2816&MAK=3&MDL=26&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

First off i would highly recommend you get your local Porsche indy to do this , there are special tools .. well kinda and without a ramp it will be tricky .

You will also need a front end geo doing afterwards .

Tools needed .. some arms are a 32 mm nut and some are a 36 .. so you will need either a crows foot of that size or a spanner.

i use a spanner .. you just about have access to it on a full lock with the track rod end and gaiter off .

You problem is fitting either the supplied crimp clip . you can't basically without dropping the subframe or and what i do is use a jubilee clip.

front undertray off a very long screwdriver and you just about have access to do up a jubilee clip .. not easy though .. you have to try and hold the clip in the right place and access is very limited .

I can do a write up of every step if you wish but a garage would probably charge you far less than the grief you may well go through .. either way let me know as im happy to explain in detail if needed .

I borrowed a crows foot spanner from a local mechanic (thanks Al!) and did mine on my drive with axle stands.
You'll also need a ball joint splitter (you may as well replace that seeing as you need to split it and its probably the same age and just as worn as the inner :

Hi Kp76

I did the repair myself. I advise to remove the Steering Rack. It's somewhat more work but can be done. With the Steering rack out the replacement of both tie rods (and bellows) is an easy job.

Regards
Hans

Attachments

• img_0232_bewerkt_198.jpg
    img_0232_bewerkt_198.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 850

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1