Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How To Guide - Retro-Fit Cruise Control

Just started doing this project. Anyone else thinking of doing it, it's a good tip to

a) check your socket set to make sure you have a 24mm socket :pc:

and...

b) then check you have an extension bar so the ratchet clears the steering wheel case... :pc: :pc:

*****!

Piccie later :grin:

Osh

Ha :grin:

How's the project going?

Run into any other issues at all?

Great write up, cheapest stalks I could find was EuroCarParts at £227, and rather than buying individual VW cables, theres a chap on Ebay making a loom for £20 all labelled...so, just done the job, but haven't had it coded by my Indie yet. When I switch it on , on the stalk, should it light up or won't that happen until its coded ? Cheers Andy

My carpartsforless stalks have just turned up today - will be fitting this weekend

Osh

I *finally* got around to doing this!!

I fitted the stalks last weekend (Used from BoxterBits) and I used the pre-made loom as others have suggested.
I had it coded today. (@ Marque 21 in Bridport)
Note: on a tip-tronic, cruise has to be enabled in the gearbox section of the DME too.

I used Leon's excellent guide from start to finish :thumb: :thumb:

Any one got a good source for these?
design 911 are selling them for £320+vat now.
I'll check out the OPC later today. Hopefully they haven't gone the way of the 6 pot caliper

OPC or Carpartsforless, Eurocarparts or Frazerpart.

D911 are rather expensive (as so often) and then add VAT!

Halcyon said:
I *finally* got around to doing this!!

I fitted the stalks last weekend (Used from BoxterBits) and I used the pre-made loom as others have suggested.
I had it coded today. (@ Marque 21 in Bridport)
Note: on a tip-tronic, cruise has to be enabled in the gearbox section of the DME too.

I used Leon's excellent guide from start to finish :thumb: :thumb:

ah excellent! Did everything generally go to plan? pleased with the mod?

Very pleased Leon - the fitting was straight forward as I followed your guide. Getting the rubber grommets into place was a faff, but nothing major :thumb:

Just did this today! Fantastic write-up!!!

I went through this on a UK import to AU. I ended up buying the connectors and soldering coloured wiring of the right length. I also wrapped it like a loom with cloth electrical tape.

Attachments

• img_20220730_220456_hdr_142.jpg
    img_20220730_220456_hdr_142.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,990
  • img_20220730_220456_hdr_142.jpg
    img_20220730_220456_hdr_142.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,990
  • img_20220730_222139_hdr_503.jpg
    img_20220730_222139_hdr_503.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,990
  • img_20220730_222139_hdr_503.jpg
    img_20220730_222139_hdr_503.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,990
Thanks for the great write-up Leon. :thumb:

Carrera 4 boy (my son) has decided to do this retrofit. He's ordered a used stalk cluster set and the MDB loom. It's such a shame that Eurocarparts don't sell the stalks new anymore.

Is there anyone on here who lives in the Lincolnshire / Nottinghamshire area who would be kind enough code it for him with Durametric or PIWIS ? (We've got a Foxwell NT530, but that only does diagnostics).

We're also hoping to add tiptronic flappy paddles while the steering wheel is off.

Many many thanks.

Great write up and I immediately decided to do this once I'd seen the extensive notes. I collected the parts over time and tried this week, not without issues!

I found the most difficult part initially was getting the hazard switch surround out, wow it's in tight, and the two small screws to the side of the steering cowling. The latter may have been easier with a long stemmed cross head but all sorted with patience.

However, I had one issue when it was all in place. When moving the steering wheel I could hear what sounded like a cable snagging. Took it all apart and found the ring was sticking. After about an hour of investigation, I realised the tab on the left side for the indicator stalk was the culprit. After flipping back between the old 3 way stalk and the new 4 way stalk and measuring, it became apparent that the depth for the tab to drop into was about 0.3mm less on the new stalks than the old. The only solution I could come up with was to use a thin penny washer behind the stalk unit on the 2 mounting screws. Now that all seems fine and indicators cancel as they should.

But :-( now the OBC is all lit up and I can't do anything with it, the stalk moves but nothing changes on the dash, if anyone has had this I'd be interested in what you found.

One option I have is take it all apart again and check, the other option is to change the individual stalks between the old and new units in case the actual stalk is faulty, this looks as simple as a couple of allen heads and miniature cable ties.

Any other suggestions or advice is greatly received.

UPDATE:
This morning I went back to the original switch cluster and still the OBC lights were all on with no control. I took everything apart again as if starting the job again, double and triple checked the wiring, found nothing.

I hoped the OBC lights issue was something that just needed a reset so I opted to reinstall the 4 stalk cluster ready to have an indy or OPC program it up and hopefully clear the OBC issue at the same time.

After fitting everything back again, guess what? I no longer have the OBC lights all on and it functions as it should so I don't know what went on there but hopefully this week I can get then cruise enabled then it's onto the next job.

Re: Many many thanks.

Kevinl964 said:
But :-( now the OBC is all lit up and I can't do anything with it, the stalk moves but nothing changes on the dash, if anyone has had this I'd be interested in what you found.

One option I have is take it all apart again and check, the other option is to change the individual stalks between the old and new units in case the actual stalk is faulty, this looks as simple as a couple of allen heads and miniature cable ties.
UPDATE:
This morning I went back to the original switch cluster and still the OBC lights were all on with no control. I took everything apart again as if starting the job again, double and triple checked the wiring, found nothing.

I hoped the OBC lights issue was something that just needed a reset so I opted to reinstall the 4 stalk cluster ready to have an indy or OPC program it up and hopefully clear the OBC issue at the same time.

After fitting everything back again, guess what? I no longer have the OBC lights all on and it functions as it should so I don't know what went on there

I just followed the guide (thank you by the way) and now every warning light on the dash is lit up, and I also have an airbag warning (despite following instructions). My stalks do work though and I can move around the OBC as expected.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what would make every light illuminate before I take it to bits again please?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back