Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IPD Plenum fitting + AOS ---REPLACEMENT --

Attachments

• 20190507_202958_195.jpg
    20190507_202958_195.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 2,913
deMort said:
That young man is the later type AOS .. replace as per the original instructions .

you have had a replacement engine at some point in its life .

:D .. happy !

Cheers demort :thumb: the engine is the original, ive had the engine built 1600 miles ago regards to bore score etc but as for replacement engine i have no idea to be honest! I have no documentation apart for a full service stamped book history!! So am in safer plains now. Will go and pick up an AOS tommorow and get some time to rip out bits in the way!!

Cheers

J

Ok, this is the AOS given from Porsche! I presume its the same as the one in the picture i posted above of my current one on me car!!

Cheers..

J

Attachments

• 20190508_092434_808.jpg
    20190508_092434_808.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 2,812
Hi all, ok In the pictures below is of the Aircon pump and there are torx bolts, is it those 2 plus 1 at the rear to move the pump out of the way? Total of 3 bolts?

Also do i have to take the rear manifold pipe off? (Tuning pipe)

And to take the small thin pipes (2 of them) off do i pull off?

Ive taken off the following bits which took me 20 mins.

Airfilter housing
Serpentine belt
Plenum and throttlebody
All pipes disconnected from the AOS apart from 2 thin pipes

So i stopped at the Aircon pump, and had to pickup my boys from 6th form anyway so couldnt carry on!!!

Cheers

J

Attachments

• 20190516_141532_603.jpg
    20190516_141532_603.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,538
  • 20190516_141434_969.jpg
    20190516_141434_969.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,538
  • 20190516_142907_20190516161554057_774.jpg
    20190516_142907_20190516161554057_774.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 2,538
  • 20190516_142815_20190516161830981_190.jpg
    20190516_142815_20190516161830981_190.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 2,538
You need to remove the compressor so the x2 front torx bolts plus the third at the rear .. you lift it up a bit and pull it out , leave the a/c pipes connected .. all you are trying to do is make enough space to gain access .

The small pipes are what i would call fuel connector pipes .. on one side there will be a small tab .. you push this in then pull off the pipe .

I would suggest push the pipe on a bit then press the tab and remove .. it helps free it .

Sometimes this type of pipe will have x2 tabs .. normally red each side of a pipe .. you press both in this case but yours from memory just has the one tab .

This part can be a little tricky due to lack of access .

As with all jobs what the instructions say and what you need to do may vary .. basically i remove what i need to to be able to comfortably do the job .

deMort said:
You need to remove the compressor so the x2 front torx bolts plus the third at the rear .. you lift it up a bit and pull it out , leave the a/c pipes connected .. all you are trying to do is make enough space to gain access .

The small pipes are what i would call fuel connector pipes .. on one side there will be a small tab .. you push this in then pull off the pipe .

I would suggest push the pipe on a bit then press the tab and remove .. it helps free it .

Sometimes this type of pipe will have x2 tabs .. normally red each side of a pipe .. you press both in this case but yours from memory just has the one tab .

This part can be a little tricky due to lack of access .

As with all jobs what the instructions say and what you need to do may vary .. basically i remove what i need to to be able to comfortably do the job .

Cheers Iain, that confirms it !! Ill be ripping the AC pump out tommorow!, the rear bolt looks abit tricky in honesty as you cant get your fingers to that area, i did use a mirror and shone a torch and i can see the reflection and the torx bolt!! To be honest Iain and in reality it doesnt take 3 hours to do this job, i think people were like over exaggerating who i spoke too, i reckon from start to finish with a couple cups of tea and comfortably an hour and half in my honest opinion....

Cheers

J

Book times .. sigh .

Any job that you have done once becomes a lot quicker the next time .. times are based on what Porsche says . some are good .. but not all and the instructions porsche gives are not always that " accurate " shall we say :)

Mechanics earn bonus on book times you know .. well not indys .. we don't get bonus .

i try to give a time for jobs based on what i can do it and what a garage will charge .. a balancing act shall we say as i don't like to insult anyone .

rear a/c bolt .. various extensions with wobbly ends .. try what you have until you find what works for you .

I do find a telescopic magnet can sometimes be useful with jobs like this .

Mechanics do the job ... service advisors charge it out .. ;)

deMort said:
Book times .. sigh .

Any job that you have done once becomes a lot quicker the next time .. times are based on what Porsche says . some are good .. but not all and the instructions porsche gives are not always that " accurate " shall we say :)

Mechanics earn bonus on book times you know .. well not indys .. we don't get bonus .

i try to give a time for jobs based on what i can do it and what a garage will charge .. a balancing act shall we say as i don't like to insult anyone .

rear a/c bolt .. various extensions with wobbly ends .. try what you have until you find what works for you .

I do find a telescopic magnet can sometimes be useful with jobs like this .

Mechanics do the job ... service advisors charge it out .. ;)

Thats true regards with the book times!! I Was a technician for Renault Motors and BMW Alpina and everything was by the book time and when you finish a job early you just sit around and wait for the book time to reach !! But you know with experiance its quicker if your good with tools..

Cheers !!

J

It's a bit different at OPC im afraid ... if we do the job quicker then we get the time and get on with the next job .. at the end of the month then anything at 90% and above we got payed a bonus ..

Ie at 90% efficiency ( there for 8 hours so if we sell 7 we are approx 90% ) we got £150 extra in our pay packet .. the higher and the more we got .

Basically if you do a job fast you get paid more for it ..

I'm not a big fan of this method .. a mechanic that cuts corners gets paid more .. its an incentive to .... erm .. well .. cut corners .

deMort said:
It's a bit different at OPC im afraid ... if we do the job quicker then we get the time and get on with the next job .. at the end of the month then anything at 90% and above we got payed a bonus ..

Ie at 90% efficiency ( there for 8 hours so if we sell 7 we are approx 90% ) we got £150 extra in our pay packet .. the higher and the more we got .

Basically if you do a job fast you get paid more for it ..

I'm not a big fan of this method .. a mechanic that cuts corners gets paid more .. its an incentive to .... erm .. well .. cut corners .

Daaaam, i see !, we just went by the book time and stuck to that, dont know if the working pattern had changed regards to bonus, we did have bonuses IF we worked overtime with shutters closed and on saturdays till 1pm.. i guess its different now!!

I completed the AOS change over, pix below!! It wasnt that bad!! Had worst jobs with more space to work in!! :grin: the only thing that tpok more bloody time and a little frustrating wss putting the IPD Plenum well the plenum in general cos the rubber side connectors just didnt want to sit properly had to use flat head screwdrivers carefully prodding around the rubber to sit in right... not started the car yet as ill finish off tommorow..

Cheers

J

Attachments

• 20190517_144342_137.jpg
    20190517_144342_137.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,221
  • 20190517_150058_627.jpg
    20190517_150058_627.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,221
  • 20190517_164636_812.jpg
    20190517_164636_812.jpg
  • 20190517_164631_119.jpg
    20190517_164631_119.jpg
It's not a difficult job as such but as usual on these engines access is limited so we have tools to deal with that .. without the tools then it becomes a challenge :)

I must be sad .. i magnified the pictures to have a good look .. 15 years and i still love looking at pictures of these in bits .. sigh .

The rubber " boots " can be aquaward with standard let alone modified and i feel your pain there .. always tricky to see .. with a mirror normally if its seated correct each side .

Just for the OCD in me .. put the pas cap the right way around :D

deMort said:
It's not a difficult job as such but as usual on these engines access is limited so we have tools to deal with that .. without the tools then it becomes a challenge :)

I must be sad .. i magnified the pictures to have a good look .. 15 years and i still love looking at pictures of these in bits .. sigh .

The rubber " boots " can be aquaward with standard let alone modified and i feel your pain there .. always tricky to see .. with a mirror normally if its seated correct each side .

Just for the OCD in me .. put the pas cap the right way around :D

Hahaaaa, OCD, i turned the cap the right way now!! Just cleaning up some parts before belt goes on and i checked the 2 idler pulleys and they spin freely due to age and one of which you can hear like a grinding noise so will go monday and pick up a pair of pulleys with new bolts!! Porsche is all about money :eek:

Oh one other thing Demort, the Power Steering Fluid, is there any special type for the porsche? The fluid itself is the colour green, wondering if thats what porsche use?

Cheers

J

Jimi, this is a good thread , I enjoyed reading the conversation between you and Ian. re the Fabspeed and IPD, Wayne Schofield remapped my car the IPD stayed but the fabspeed was removed and I used BMCs in the original airbox as he found it produced less power with the fabspeed , but I would say that its personal as the reduction was only small so you need to weigh that up against the fact the fabspeed looks and sounds bloody lovely . Based on your set of mods inc the exhaust I suggest you expect about 20/25 BHP total after the remap.
Choose your remapper wisely as Wayne told me that the previous remap on the car was " a typical guesswork reflash and its running advanced and lean and would ultimately damage the engine" .
I have to say after Waynes remap after the Hartech rebuild the car does feel more torquey and revs much more freely and is running just over 400 bhp (about 20 bhp over stock) but most importantly the power curve feels good and no flat spots in the usual 997 flat spot areas. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Jimi, this is a good thread , I enjoyed reading the conversation between you and Ian. re the Fabspeed and IPD, Wayne Schofield remapped my car the IPD stayed but the fabspeed was removed and I used BMCs in the original airbox as he found it produced less power with the fabspeed , but I would say that its personal as the reduction was only small so you need to weigh that up against the fact the fabspeed looks and sounds bloody lovely . Based on your set of mods inc the exhaust I suggest you expect about 20/25 BHP total after the remap.
Choose your remapper wisely as Wayne told me that the previous remap on the car was " a typical guesswork reflash and its running advanced and lean and would ultimately damage the engine" .
I have to say after Waynes remap after the Hartech rebuild the car does feel more torquey and revs much more freely and is running just over 400 bhp (about 20 bhp over stock) but most importantly the power curve feels good and no flat spots in the usual 997 flat spot areas. :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Phil, am glad for your response!! Wont be mapping yet!! Have you ran your engine in after rebuild? If so how miles have you done before mapping your car? Ill probably get it mapped during summer some time!!

Phil thing is, few BHP isnt noticeble to be honest and i understand trying to squeeze as much BHP to show on graph would be good to see, i guess theres always gonna be a give or take situation, loose a few BHP for induction sound and engine bay looks.

How much BHP did you lose with the Fabspeed gear on?

Also where is Wayne based for remapping if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers

J

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back