Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help! Snapped bolt...

Gooey36

So I'm just in the middle of replacing all my suspension and thought I'd do the engine mounts at the same time. One side gone in a doddle, the other side upon using the torque wrench to fit has snapped!

Is it a right angled drill and EZ-kit job?!

No access under without removing a lot of exhaust stuff!

Which exact bolt?

It's one of the two fixings holding the mount to the body.

Snapped bolt pointing at hole it's snapped in!

Attachments

• fe30e600_117e_48c4_92c4_3304d943df70_400.jpeg
    fe30e600_117e_48c4_92c4_3304d943df70_400.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,258
Will it not just push out then?

Should just be the remains of the bolt with a nut on the underside.

Green arrows:

Pic2.jpg

I wondered about access from underneath!

I'd try molegrips on anything protruding and try and wind out the way it went in rather than wind it through underneath.

If that fails try drilling and clear the threads with a tap. Dont use an easy out / screw extractor as when they snap its game over! Worse case scenario drill it out oversize and put a nyloc nut on the underside. The two bolts are not loaded up they just locate the mount and hold it in place.

I did one of mine from above with an EZ out and some heat, not a convenient job to do.

MC

Thanks chaps.

Alex, that mount arrangement is different on mine, is that not off a 993? Attached a pic of mine. You can see the shiney new (snapped 🤬) bolt remains in the captive nut and the new hole adjacent to it.

Think I've got a solution...

Drilled an extra 'new" hole in the mount and fit elongated washer to ensure better distribution of load (see attached pic).

Drilled through the sheet metal chassis section underneath the mount and next to original fixing point. Applied some rust preventative primer as well.

Purchase longer bolt (thank god for amazon 'get it today"!)

Nylock plus washer underneath to hold.

Can't see why this wouldn't work? Anyone think of any particular issues/woes before I commit and bolt it all up?

Worse case I'll have to get it professionally removed. I attempted to drill it out but given the location and 1.5" of snapped high tensile bolt in there, it took me 1.25hrs to realise I wasn't getting anywhere fast.

What a ball ache. Should have been a 1hrs job max!

Attachments

• 302c3efb_e62a_4723_aaf6_d7d4b4ff6c31_581.jpeg
    302c3efb_e62a_4723_aaf6_d7d4b4ff6c31_581.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,178
  • 907c6be6_dcfd_435d_973e_91911c87f635_114.jpeg
    907c6be6_dcfd_435d_973e_91911c87f635_114.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,178
Think the photo I posted is the 986 boxster. Can't see an issue with what you've done. Just keep an eye on it coming loose over the next couple of months.

Alex said:
Think the photo I posted is the 986 boxster. Can't see an issue with what you've done. Just keep an eye on it coming loose over the next couple of months.

Indeed, a nylon and additional thread lock adhesive should hopefully work.

There is enough thread to put an additional lock nut on so that wouldn't hurt either.

Hopefully, problem resolved! Was planning on fitting front suspension today as well!

I broke a bolt too fitting new engine mounts, they must be a lot less strong than I imagined. I wasnt using a torque wrench, just nipping it up with a socket then pop, it went. I agree with mc, an eazyout would be the first try.

It didnt work for me as it was too tight in, so I spend three nights drilling it out and buggered the bottom welded on nut in the the process. I went thorugh a few drills used the biggest I could to reduce chance of getting a drill stuck. mind you, that new bolt position seems a sensible fix.

There should be a warning on the kit, these bolts are quite small and will break over about 40lbs.

timm996 said:
I broke a bolt too fitting new engine mounts, they must be a lot less strong than I imagined. I wasnt using a torque wrench, just nipping it up with a socket then pop, it went. I agree with mc, an eazyout would be the first try.

It didnt work for me as it was too tight in, so I spend three nights drilling it out and buggered the bottom welded on nut in the the process. I went thorugh a few drills used the biggest I could to reduce chance of getting a drill stuck. mind you, that new bolt position seems a sensible fix.

There should be a warning on the kit, these bolts are quite small and will break over about 40lbs.

Least it's not just me! I was convinced the bolt must've been defective as it snapped way before it nipped at less than 28ftlbs! Who knows.

Luckily the position I've drilled actually means as it draws the nut it holds it captive between the weld of the old captive nut and the formed sheet metal! Clearly, as I intended...😉

Next trip to the garage I'll have them whip the manifold off and drill it out from underneath and fit 'correctly".

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back