Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windshield washer pump failed

ckellum84

A couple of weeks ago I went to use the sprayer and only the wipers moved. No spray.
After reading the forums I set about this morning pulling out the reservoir and replacing the motor.
The old motor was rusted up big time. New one on Amazon was £11.
Directions to replace as follows

Passenger side front wheel off (UK car)

Undo a few clips and peel back the plastic wheel arch liner. I found I didn't need to take it fully out.

Undo the hose from the top where it feeds from the reservoir into the section under the hood.

Pull the hose downwards and into a coke bottle. Let all the water drain away. Mine was full of crap so I thought maybe the pump or hoses were blocked. Not the case though. A couple of times I even had to blow up the hose to clear blockages.

Once empty disconnect the reservoir filler neck from under the hood. Simple lift up clip mechanism and it pulls out to the left.

Undo the single bolt holding the reservoir to the underside of the arch. It's located at the top where the hose was connected.

Pull the reservoir out towards the brake disk. It's lodged in using two thick rubber bungs.

Disconnect the cables for the pump and the fluid level indicator.

Prise the pump upwards to lift it away from the reservoir.

Insert new one.

Put it all back together.

Hope this helps others in future.

Attachments

• img_20190512_122953_01_01_589.jpg
    img_20190512_122953_01_01_589.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,578
  • img_20190512_122225_02_01_181.jpg
    img_20190512_122225_02_01_181.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,578
  • img_20190512_122702_01_01_176.jpg
    img_20190512_122702_01_01_176.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,578
Mines buggered up last night but it does make the sound as if the motor is running but nothing is coming out. I have filled it as well although the washer warning light still shows

Did your motor still make the noise as if it was working

Mine works but honest to go I could pee harder. Its pathetic.

I've just replaced the rubber grommet/seal which the spout pokes into. I can only assume it's fallen inside the tank of a previous mechanic forgot to put it back when work was done to the washer jets on an invoice which came with the car.

Without this seal, you can't fill the bottle over half way as it just pours out of that hole.

It gave me a good opportunity to check everything on that corner and all arms look good, the ball joint covers are good and the Bilstein shocks looks almost new. :thumb:

When mine went, there was no sound coming from the pump at all. Completely broken.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back