Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM1 to Android Double DIN

Tim996c4

Decided to swap out my PCM1 unit for a modern android unit with up to date nav, Bluetooth, etc...
So, unit is on order an expected by the weekend, so though I'd pop out the PCM to see what's what in terms of connections etc. hoping it would be 'plug&play'.... Sadly it doesn't appear to be so.
So I'm after some advice on connectors/ISO adapters.
The current unit has three connectors at the top (Yellow, green, blue), which I believe are output to the amp, cd changer, phone system. Oddly the loom has an additional green and blue connector that aren't being used...
There is then a black connector that would appear to be power.
There are then two large, connections (blue and black) that I assume are to do with the phone, on-board computer, nav cd...?
I've found a couple of ISO adapters but am not sure which (if either) is the right one for this application.
Understand that I will lose the phone and cd changer, so not worried about that element.

Has anyone done a similar swap and can advise on what I need? And will I also lose the mpg etc. that is shown on the dash?
If relevant, car is 2000 C4 (non-MOST).
Thanks in advance.

pics attached

Attachments

• pcm1a_medium_203.jpg
    pcm1a_medium_203.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 3,789
  • pcm1b_medium_149.jpg
    pcm1b_medium_149.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 3,789
Hi Tim

this could not be more timely for me.

A few years ago i ripped my Porsche double din unit and installed an iPad but, right now, i'm just not happy with it (i'm a big Android fan and couldn't find the right pad at the time to fit the space)

So I, too, am thinking of doing the swap.

Can i ask a favour and ask you to do a full write up and post as many piccies as you possibly can...??

Can i also ask which Android unit you've chosen and why and are you intending to link this up to a separate amp/player or is it a complete stand alone/fully integrated unit....

Looking forward to following this thread. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Osh

Fitted over the weekend. All working great. Took a load of pics, so write-up coming soon.....

Tim996c4 said:
Fitted over the weekend. All working great. Took a load of pics, so write-up coming soon.....

:thumb:

Look forward to it..

Osh

Well it's taken me a while to get opportunity to write/post this... I hope it is of some use to some of you. Apologies in advanced for any steps or detail that I've missed (I should have written this ages ago when it was still fresh). Any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll try to fire up the lost memory cells....
NB: this is a non-MOST system
Parts and costs:
Eonon Android 8, 8 core, 4Gb, 7" touchscreen (Ebay) - £154
Connects2 CT23-PO02 Mounting cage and bezel (Dynamic Sounds) - £30.95
Connects2 CT53-PO01 Wiring harness (Dynamic Sounds) - £39.90
Connects2 CT27-AA01 ISO-DIN Aerial adaptor (Dynamic Sounds) - £4.95
Complete lower centre console (Douglas Valley) - £70
USB DAB+ Receiver and aerial (Ebay) - £25.86

This is just to give an idea of the costs involved and I'm sure with some time and effort you may find the parts required at a cheaper price.
Head unit is a personal choice (there are a wide range available from Eonon, Xtrons, Pumpkin etc.).
You may not need/want the DAB option.
Wiring harness model will be dependant on your current set-up particularly on whether you have the factory amplifier or not.
Centre console element may not be a requirement for you depending on what you already have.

What it looked like at the start...

I didn't have the proper removal tool, but 4 small screwdrivers inserted into the release holes did the job.

Old unit removed.

Left and right switch units pop out easily with a trim removal tool. Note connector positions (to aid re-assembly).

Switches.

New cage and unit were too tight and awkward to fit in-situ, so I removed whole centre piece – 4 torx screws.

Centre removed.

Cage fitted and centre binnacle back in place – sufficient bend-down clips lined up to provide a secure fit.

As anticipated, the new bezel for a double din unit didn't fit. These cheapo Android units are not true double din size. So a few measurements, some masking tape, the Dremel, and a bit of light sanding to tidy was required.

Bezel.

Wiring harness connects between the one supplied with the head unit and the necessary connectors on the car. There are different versions available dependant on whether you have an external amp or not (I do).

Wiring harness.

Connecting it up.

A number of connectors from the old unit, were not required as these were for the old NAV system etc. I don't have photos, but there was also the external mic and the GPS unit that came with the HU. I was able to run the wires for these through to the drivers side, with the GPS on top of the dash in the right hand corner, and the mic routed up to next to the sun visor.

New unit installed

As the PCM1 had the separate DVD/CD for the NAV maps, I now had space to fit the proper cubby hole. I also wanted to replace the side 'cheek' that had the phone unit mount on it (wider than standard). Prices of these parts were a bit steep, but I was fortunate to find a whole lower centre console, with the right colour sides, and both cubby hole trays, in great condition at a bargain.
Once delivered, it just required installation of the cubby tray and the side piece from the donor.

Job done.

I have since got a DAB unit added and the stick-on aerial for it mounted on the passenger side of the windscreen. This has an earth tab that needs to connect to the car, but I have struggled to get the windscreen pillar off to do this properly – therefore the DAB is pretty poor at the moment. I have added a USB 4G dongle and can now stream from Spotify, Amazon, Internet radio stations etc.
One thing I was concerned I would lose, but probably couldn't do anything about, was the info on the dash (mpg, outside temp, etc.) as I suspected that these were somehow linked to the on-board computer on the PCM1. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they are independent and still work perfectly.

Very cool!

Couple of suggestions.
You can pop off the alarm light indicator in the centre of the dash up hard against the windscreen and remove the old GPS antenna and install you new one and get it off the dash - for the sake of pretty. Its not a very had job after what you have done so far.

You can get flush mount USB extension cables from Ali Exp
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_52

Can install in back of your new tray and cut down on cable clutter

If you got a set fo seat heater switches with your console left over from the process, would be an interested buyer too

thanks, may look at the gps option.
The lower console came with a blank plate where the heated seat switches are, sorry.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back