Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Locking wheel nut key broken

What type and how is it damaged?

My mates Audi TT locknut was slipping and I managed to peen back the damaged edges on the bolt and key with a flat ended pin punch.

Ian

Buy a replacement lock / socket from OPC off your vin code.

If that don't work and the bolts are scrap hammer on an old socket that's 1 size too small

If all else fails weld on a new bolt to the old head

Winny

The side of the nut key has snapped I have taped back on and it fits but as it's loose any purchase on it alters the angle and it slips off I've tried a battery ratchet gun it won't move any of them and the key gets hot I will try an old fashioned socket set later I have a997 turbo also in storage I will see if that one fits otherwise off to porsche Wolverhampton I need some other bits any way so not a wasted journey bought the car as a bit of a project so no pannic
Not sure a socket will work as it's round with pins

I will have a look later

Steve dickens

I managed to lose the locking adaptor on my shared BMW track car recently which has 2 sets of wheels. I was fortunate enough to have a very accommodating dealer on the way to my track day who allowed me to buy the right one out of their master set & he'd replace it with another one overnight - they came out with the case of them as I didn't know the part number so I could try them to get the correct one, though hopefully yours haven't been changed from the original set. I'm now replacing the lockers with standard wheel bolts by the way.

Pretty sure it's the original set it all started because I wanted to jet wash behind the wheels got the first one off ok then tried the front tried to keep the key at 90 degrees slipped and snap nexttime I will use a shorter bar

Thank Ian for the reply I was hoping your wisdom would confirm what I though looks like another expensive coffe at Wolverhampton tomorrow

Steve dickens

Chris from Exel Wheels told me when I had this same problem that I should tighten the other 4 wheel bolts as much as possible to take the pressure, somewhat, off the locking bolt but failing that OPC should be able to sort you out.

I replace the locking bolts with standard ones when I buy a car, less hassle although of course somewhat more risk of the wheels being pinched.

Dammit said:
I replace the locking bolts with standard ones when I buy a car, less hassle although of course somewhat more risk of the wheels being pinched.

Thats an interesting suggestion - TBH theives could just buy a tool for removing damaged lock bolts for a few quid.

Ian

You can either buy a master key or a set of sockets that will remove most locking wheel nuts both £28 then you can replace the locking wheel nuts with a new Porsche set £60 a second hand set £28 or you can buy a new OE McGard set from Eurocarparts £36.

McGard are used by most car manufacturers.

Del.

Just check the aftermarket sets - mine have been replaced with a non-standard set and they use a different size socket to the wheel bolts!

Other than the suggestions above to remove it when you do get the other ones and throw them in the bin.
Utterly pointless these days and cause no end of grief in these situations. First thing I do when buying a car is take them off now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back