Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bleeding the cooling system

Gray79

Monza
Hi, how do you bleed the cooling system on a C2S? I have had a hose blow off tonight, I wasn't far from home so I took the air box off and reconnected the hose, topped up with warm water and limped home (I was outside a mates house). I am going to strip it down again tomorrow when it's cooled down to check the condition of the hose, but I will need to replace the coolant afterwards as it took about 5 litres of water to top it back up.

I changed my water pump , and it took ages to refill,, the proper way is to buy a vacuum kit, I just kept topping up and up and ran with the tab lifted on the header tank !!

To do it properly, you should really empty the system & pull a vacuum on it & allow the vacuum to draw the coolant back in to the system.

It depends on how much coolant was lost & how low down on the system your hose blew off.

If you can park on a very steep incline theres a good chance you'll get all the air out, however there's still a chance you might get an airlock somewhere.

On the coolant bottle raise the metal tab so its vertical .

If a total drain then we use a vacuum device to suck the coolant in .. for a partial loss like this then engine off .. fill up the bottle .. have someone rev the car at 3 K or use a rod to do it and top up the bottle until it stops bubbling .

Put the cap back on and allow to idle . Either R/T it or allow it to idle up to temp then leave over night .. top up in the morning and all done .

Don't drop the revs when topping up the bottle .. it will come out like a geyser if you do .

For a 5 ltr loss you need to add 2 litres of pure antifreeze if possible ... or check the mixture afterwards and drain a bit then top up with antifreeze .. i would use a syringe to suck out from the bottle in this case .

Thanks everyone, I'll see how I get on tomorrow.

Just checking, what coolant should I be using? Just looked on on a few lubricant selectors, and they are recommending long life red, but my coolant is a yellowish colour.

yes its red OAT coolant that you need. although as you say it can look yellowish especially when it leaks on the floor !

Another eight litres of coolant to bring it up to the level :eek:

I'll check it again tomorrow.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back