Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

992 elements that are not engineering progress...

6appeal

Ok, in context the car is amazing, gotta be pretty pedantic to find fault, and by no means complaints... just a few early observations where its not necessarily a positive progress from the 991:

- Exhaust on the over-run... 991 sounds much better in sport mode, with discreet pops and crackles. None to be heard on the 992 (yet). Nice deep tone on the 992 though, so a balance to be had.

- Rear seat access handles... the new design leather straps look cool, but a PITA to operate for my 7yr old daughter, the 991 seat catches were much more ergonomic and easier to use. (Plus the rear seat central recess has gone).

- Cup holder... well, Porsche have gone back to the drawing board it seems they've cocked that bit right up! i bet that marketing, legal and the design dept are having a right ding dong in their office at present. I know the purists are not losing sleep on this, but as a daily driver vehicle, i need my brew in the morning commute ;)

- Drivers door pillar... seems further forward than the 991 at the base of the pillar, marginally trickier for getting out the car.

- Keyless access... doesn't work as consistently as the 991, its a bit faffy.

Plus the PDK 'gear lever' is now a shadow of its former self, Porsche must be making more £ on the 992 than the 991 given the cost-cutting in various area's which is a shame :x

Unexpectedly the change of gear stick isn't an issue... ergonomics and tactility of the new design is very good.

The new tech of both driving and interior is excellent, a definite step forward from the 991. I'd imagine they've spent serious money on the R&D of the 992, they'll be making a profit for sure, but nothing like what they make on Macan etc...

6appeal said:
- Drivers door pillar... seems further forward than the 991 at the base of the pillar, marginally trickier for getting out the car.

Thanks for the update. As someone who carries a little excess timber, and no longer a teenager, I find alighting the 991 a little awkward at times. Especially after a long drive.

I generally swing both my legs out first, then place my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand on the upper seat bolster, and then with one concerted effort, push myself up and out. Occasionally the movement can be quite smooth, and almost balletic. But mostly it's clumsy and I generally fall up and out of the car. It makes for an interesting spectacle, if nothing else.

991.2GTS said:
I generally swing both my legs out first, then place my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand on the upper seat bolster, and then with one concerted effort, push myself up and out.

This is how I got out of my Lotus....

Update:

Exhaust getting better now with a 1,000 miles on the clock

Cup holder irrelevant, the box thing works as a cup holder for everything I've thrown at it.

Keyless still a right faff, only working 20% of the time. Whether door or boot opening. Intriguing what others have experienced?

6appeal said:
Update:

Exhaust getting better now with a 1,000 miles on the clock

Cup holder irrelevant, the box thing works as a cup holder for everything I've thrown at it.

Keyless still a right faff, only working 20% of the time. Whether door or boot opening. Intriguing what others have experienced?

I'm only 300 miles on the clock but I agree on the cup holder mate, takes the whole array of beverages and sizes I've been able to throw at it.

Keyless is an absolute pain. I think I'm going to tell them it's a fault they need to fix. Over half the time it doesn't work so need to take the key out of my pocket and unlock. Then, I'm jet washing it yesterday and the bonnet pops up causing me to spray underneath it and soaking the carpet inside. Not great.

Great to hear the exhaust is improving, as my first Porsche I've got nothing to compare to and I'd describe it as 'fine" right now. I'm enjoying the howl/warble of the flat 6 and every now and then the turbo woosh is a nice sound to hear too. So if it improves with age I think I'll be pretty happy.

I've noticed the P light fli ckers (don't know why the forum keeps hashing this word out) a bit when first engaged and the driver memory thing seems to be a waste of time unless you've got full 18 way seats - switching between drivers does nothing except change the radio favourites and customised buttons. I have the 4 way electric seats and they don't change depending on the driver settings.

Whistling noise after a high speed run that continued for rest of drive at all speeds :dont know: would not go away. Not sunroof or windows as tried those..

The two outer clocks on the dash are unreadable due to the steering wheel size. See pic. Not great when over 150mph and you cannot see the temps. (Germany test drive).

The top of the a pillar and door felt much closer to driver than in my 991 which was a little disconcerting.

Really like the speed limit displays and warnings. Very precise and appeared to work 100% of the time on a wide variety of roads.

The very best view is the hips when looking back in the wing mirrors. Back to proper 911 curves. Baby certainly has butt again. :thumb:

If the GT3 is n/a it will be great car. 9k howling exhaust mixed with Hips and wings :worship:

Edit: in normal mode you appear to have to go into the PCM Drive menu to switch noisy exhaust on? That's rubbish. It's the first button a lot of people press...

Attachments

• ed2ffc9f_f97c_4dc2_b077_86482ee285ca_152.jpeg
    ed2ffc9f_f97c_4dc2_b077_86482ee285ca_152.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 8,789
G2 said:
Edit: in normal mode you appear to have to go into the PCM Drive menu to switch noisy exhaust on? That's rubbish. It's the first button a lot of people press...

It's easy to program one of the available centre mounted switches to open the exhaust.

GT3ZZZ said:
G2 said:

It's easy to program one of the available centre mounted switches to open the exhaust.
What he said.
First thing I did!

sideways said:
GT3ZZZ said:
G2 said:

What he said.
First thing I did!

:thumb: didn't have time to read the manual. Odd choice for them to not include it as a standard button :dont know:

I bet people do the exhaust button more often than the suspension button.

I've set the steering button diamond as the zorst

I drove a 992 with Sport Exhaust on Saturday. I asked the dealer if the exhaust came on automatically, she said it did in Sport and Sport Plus.... Not that you would notice the difference. It is the quietest exhaust I have ever heard. Nice sound but very, (very) remote.

findtom said:
I drove a 992 with Sport Exhaust on Saturday. I asked the dealer if the exhaust came on automatically, she said it did in Sport and Sport Plus.... Not that you would notice the difference. It is the quietest exhaust I have ever heard. Nice sound but very, (very) remote.

Glad to hear the exhaust note is Shiite, should keep the best sounding 911 of all time prices bouyant :p :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back