Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 C4S - new front tyres needed.

Gottans

A quick check of the car this showed I need new tyres on the front, somewhere down the line they have had too much pressure in them and the tread in the centre is on the wear limit. Not sure how as I do regularly check tyre pressures.

Anyway the car is shod with Pirelli N2 rated tyres (front and back) and I would like change brands to Michelin probably PS2 rather than Cups.

I read the tyre sticky which implies that if I change the tyre brand I need to replace all 4 tyres, is this still the case and the OPC will give a disapproving look if I suggest only changing the front tyres and go with Michelin.

I would rather not spend £1k on new tyres and bin a couple of perfectly serviceable rear tyres at the moment and would appreciate peoples view on this.

Car is currently under Porsche warranty so I am expecting 4 new tyres are the only solution.

Thanks
Pete

Depends how much life is left on the rears and when MOT time is due.

If lots of life then deflate the fronts a bit and drive it hard till MOT time and then replace all 4. Alternatively do it in phases and be aware you'll have some odd handling characteristics at the limit, probably oversteer I'd guess with older tyres at the rear.

Yes your OPC Warranty will be effected by different brand or non N rated tyres.

They won't let you renew the warranty unless the tyres meet their criteria. You'll be ok until then.

I'd change all 4 as I don't like to mess around when it comes to tyres.

Magic919 said:
They won't let you renew the warranty unless the tyres meet their criteria. You'll be ok until then.

I'd change all 4 as I don't like to mess around when it comes to tyres.

Surely a warranty claim would be at risk if the tyres don't reach the warranty criteria? Or is warranty given for 12months based on an annual check up and sign off? Just not sure if they would welch on a claim for an engine going pop if you put the wrong tyres on?

I've posted my experience dealing with them.

Thank you for the comments.

As I am currently not working I was hoping not to have to shell out for a full set of tyres but if I want to change to Michelin then stumping up seems to be the only way with the warranty in place.

I agree, tyres are important and not something to mess about with.

Sy said:
Depends how much life is left on the rears and when MOT time is due.

If lots of life then deflate the fronts a bit and drive it hard till MOT time and then replace all 4. Alternatively do it in phases and be aware you'll have some odd handling characteristics at the limit, probably oversteer I'd guess with older tyres at the rear.

Yes your OPC Warranty will be effected by different brand or non N rated tyres.

Your warranty will not be affected by brand or rating of tyres. You must of course comply with the law. Your warranty is only affected if the claim can be identified as resulting from a non Porsche part or improper servicing. Renewal of the warranty is different, Porsche can and do set the rules, however, some OPC's are more sensible than others.

If the warranty is not up for renewal soon I'd put Michelins on the front now and leave the rears until (a) they wear out or (b) whenever the 111 point check is due.

For the renewal you'll need matching N numbers, not just matching brands.

ps. Just in case you didn't realise. You don't need an OPC to supply/fit your tyres.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back