Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

718 GT4 at the Ring

Does not sound turbocharged to my ears. No boost sound like can be heard on the VW"s and hangs onto the gears.

sounds NA to me, but could be wrong

I think Porsche have stated it will have the same engine as the last one with some minor tweaks to get the power to where it was when they took it out of the Carrera S. I was mulling a Spyder purchase until I heard this, quite disappointing really. They could have at least fitted the old GT3 3.8 engine in this car to make it something special (the GT4 at least).

The 781 GT4 will have a revised (4.0L) engine with grey iron plasma deposition cylinder walls plus adjustable exhaust cams, and repositioned higher pressure small format injectors that are located very close to the spark plug, all for lower friction, better combustion and lower pre-cat soot particle levels. Should be good for 425PS.

Spyder should have same chassis as GT4, unlike 981 series.

If you have a 981 GT4/Spyder, maybe hold on to it. New depends on pricing and number made but don't expect flippers premium like the old days. IMHO

porkyb1 said:
The 781 GT4 will have a revised (4.0L) engine with grey iron plasma deposition cylinder walls plus adjustable exhaust cams, and repositioned higher pressure small format injectors that are located very close to the spark plug, all for lower friction, better combustion and lower pre-cat soot particle levels. Should be good for 425PS.

Spyder should have same chassis as GT4, unlike 981 series.

If you have a 981 GT4/Spyder, maybe hold on to it. New depends on pricing and number made but don't expect flippers premium like the old days. IMHO

Good info in 1st paragraph - what was the source for that ? there has been lots of speculation to date and the actual day must be coming soon sometime in 2019....so will probably be known to someone already ..

3rd paragraph , I am not so sure about as there have been a number of issues with the GT4 to date, these are pretty well published too.... probably not going to worry anyone who doesn't track their car and give it a bit of work to do but still a bit concerning anyway....
Gen 2 price will inevitably be higher than gen 1 but the object would be for Porsche to keep them out of the hands of the dealer principles mates and let the ' lads' like us have them all.....

Public launch Goodwood July 4, early afternoon.

Source Germany

Issues? Other than top mounts and 3rd gear recall, what did you have in mind?

porkyb1 said:
Public launch Goodwood July 4, early afternoon.

Source Germany

Issues? Other than top mounts and 3rd gear recall, what did you have in mind?

I hadn't heard about July launch , so pretty close in effect ..... phone call to my man @ OPC is in order to find out how many they are getting and If I am on the list despite the assurance that I am ...

In addition to the 2 you mentioned,Clutch issues were quite common, more so in US of A cars I believe for some reason or other...

I loved mine but sold it due to a choice I had to make at the time .....epic sound , the Gen 2 can only be better surely based on the fact that the standard 718 chassis seems to be almost as good as the GT4 as noted by those ' in the know'...

911TEL said:
In addition to the 2 you mentioned,Clutch issues were quite common, more so in US of A cars I believe for some reason or other...

Get a PDK this time

porkyb1 said:
911TEL said:

Get a PDK this time

LOL , that would be my definite plan , despite that fact that there will be suggestions that anyone who does should be burnt at the stake .... PDK on a GT4 ... I think it would be well suited to the current PDK box ..... and make a distinct difference ......

When the first one came out, I had just had a shoulder operation and have had another since, so manual didn't suit me. So I had a 3.8L Carrera engine installed in my PDK Cayman S PDK in Germany + custom suspension and brake upgrades, so a DIY 981 PDK GT4.

Looking forward to choosing manual or PDK this time as shoulders now seem OK

porkyb1 said:
When the first one came out, I had just had a shoulder operation and have had another since, so manual didn't suit me. So I had a 3.8L Carrera engine installed in my PDK Cayman S PDK in Germany + custom suspension and brake upgrades, so a DIY 981 PDK GT4.

Looking forward to choosing manual or PDK this time as shoulders now seem OK

Where did you get the engine install done ?

I had a run out in a gen 1 Cayman s at 9FF in Germany on a visit to their workshops , it had a shoehorned 996 turbo engine in it ... the lad took me out the airport road and bac..... jeez .. was that fast and like a mag lev train on tracks...

PDK is a great box ....

Jens Ehresmann in 2015 - I think I was his first customer having failed to find a way for BGB in Florida to do it

My local OPC has told me FOS launch as well. Others have also heard this from their OPCs. Should be interesting, but I think they will cost a lot more. I'm just hoping they up the production runs so that ordinary folk can place an order and folk who simply buy to flip have a much much lower chance of making any money doing that. These cars should be bought and driven, not preserved as ornaments.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back