Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Condensation in rear lights .. is there a fix ?

My other car is a 2017 Golf GTI and not long after getting the car, I noticed the headlights were misting up on occasion, but soon thereafter they were clear. A little research, led me to discover that they have some small holes within them to allow any condensation build up, to dissipate into the air.

It looks like some manufacturers have realised this issue and are now designing light clusters with a preventative measure in place.

chowgar said:
My other car is a 2017 Golf GTI and not long after getting the car, I noticed the headlights were misting up on occasion, but soon thereafter they were clear. A little research, led me to discover that they have some small holes within them to allow any condensation build up, to dissipate into the air.

It looks like some manufacturers have realised this issue and are now designing light clusters with a preventative measure in place.

It's my understanding that 997.2 headlamps units are also 'self-venting', so the occasional condensation clears on its own. Not sure if this is the same with all 997s? However, both of my rear light clusters have been replaced under warranty in the past. Strange that similar venting or draining isn't present in them.....

The 997 lights have a little breather pipe, but that has a rubber bit and a cap. I left one of them off as a test.

jonno_ said:
MaxA said:
Shaoxter said:
MaxA said:
I wrote to deMort about this, in the mistaken belief that there was a fix. In the meantime, can someone point me to a how-to on how to remove/reinstall the rear lights? I plan to dry them out and add some ventilation holes.
Open up the engine lid and undo the two torx screws. That's it!

Brilliant. I'm still new to working on the Porsche... it's the other car that takes most of the time.

It's even covered in the manual - at least for gen 1.
With the right torx (T25 from memory) it's about 90 seconds for the pair 😁

Well, yes, it doesn't take long to remove the light, once the 2x T25s are out. You still need to disconnect the electrics to the assembly, and then remove 7x T20 screws (a long handle helps) from the back, and then pull hard to separate the back from the front. I was afraid that I'd broken it. Certainly startled the dog.

There is a sort of skinny foam gasket which looks a bit loose in places. Once the light has dried out (it's in my sauna), I'll try to dab a bit of glue into the place where the gasket sits to help it stay in place. I also removed a rubber bung from what looks like a ventilation tube on the back of the assembly, and drilled it out to 2mm to allow a bit of air circulation (given the above comments). It all goes back in tomorrow.

Hopefully the light will now stay water free!

There are a couple of circular stickers you can peel off.

Magic919 said:
There are a couple of circular stickers you can peel off.

Thanks, found them!

Fixed?

Hi - I found this thread while searching. It seems my 997.2 has condensation in both rear lights, I found it in the front lights and even the base of my windscreen tonight after the weather has got cold..

The headlights dry out but the rear lights don't seems to be..

Is the trick to remove, dry-out and somehow ventilate better?

Best, Simon

Re: Fixed?

M5sime said:
Hi - I found this thread while searching. It seems my 997.2 has condensation in both rear lights, I found it in the front lights and even the base of my windscreen tonight after the weather has got cold..

The headlights dry out but the rear lights don't seems to be..

Is the trick to remove, dry-out and somehow ventilate better?

Best, Simon

I still have condensation in my right rear light from time to time, but I might try to pull them apart and re-seal with silicon this time.. I suppose that I shouldn't live in a northern climate.

2 ways to deal with condensation, seal the unit completely so no moist air can get in or ventilate so that the moist air dissipates. Water leaks are a different problem.

Out they must come

Looks like I have all four lights to pop out (fronts and rears) on my 997.2 and check the vents etc. The rears seem permanent in a state of condensation. The fronts always cleared. Oddly I noted on the fronts when I sprayed the car with iron x to remove some fallout I got some crystal patterns appearing inside the front headlights.. very concerning!

There is no sloshing water from what I can see (unlike the rear LED I had in my E46 Clubsport and that killed a bunch of the LED segments)..

I have an aftermarket Warranty on my car (Quentin special).. I wonder if I should claim vs 'fix' .. From what I read, they all fail eventually..?

Best

Simon

Re: Out they must come

M5sime said:
Looks like I have all four lights to pop out (fronts and rears) on my 997.2 and check the vents etc. The rears seem permanent in a state of condensation. The fronts always cleared. Oddly I noted on the fronts when I sprayed the car with iron x to remove some fallout I got some crystal patterns appearing inside the front headlights.. very concerning!

There is no sloshing water from what I can see (unlike the rear LED I had in my E46 Clubsport and that killed a bunch of the LED segments)..

I have an aftermarket Warranty on my car (Quentin special).. I wonder if I should claim vs 'fix' .. From what I read, they all fail eventually..?

Best

Simon

good luck with that one, I never got anything out of them, for example output shaft seals weeping gearbox oil. Not an internal seal and you don't need to strip the transaxle apart so not covered! Spent £3K on warranty over 3 years and spent £4K on failed parts not covered!

Re: Out they must come

jl-c said:
good luck with that one, I never got anything out of them, for example output shaft seals weeping gearbox oil. Not an internal seal and you don't need to strip the transaxle apart so not covered! Spent £3K on warranty over 3 years and spent £4K on failed parts not covered!

Hmm.. I guess it was 'Insurance' in my mind for anything major.. I will try the DIY option first then!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back